Can't remove an extension

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
MarkDouglas

Can't remove an extension

Post by MarkDouglas »

When I first downloaded Open office 4.1.6 I added an extension for French spelling. It is called Bambara Spell-checker(INALCO) 2.3. It doesn't work, it can be found in "French dictionaries". I have tried to remove in extension manager, but it does not deleat. I have tried removing Open Office completly from my PC (via both control panel and apps and features) reinstalling OpenOffice and it is still there. I have removed all cookies and tried re-downloading it, but it still appears. I have tried downloading older version 4.1.5 but it is still there. I have tried using both Edge and Firefox to download but still it appears in extension management. I am able to use the remove box in Extension Manager to remove the English extension with no trouble.
Any solutions to remove this extension please
OpenOffice 4.1.6 installed on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: can't remove an extension

Post by jrkrideau »

No help but I am having the same problem with Bambara Spell-checker(INALCO) 2.3 in LibreOffice v6.0.7.3. So far it does not seem to be doing any harm but I do not like it.

I have installed Dictionnaires français 5.3 which, so far, seems to be working well.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Use this advice with caution - back up your profile first.

Extensions seem to be located in your user profile under uno_packages/cache/uno_packages; look through the sub-directories there.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suspect that this extension is actually hunspell dictionaries at system level and will need different removal to that for Open/Libre-Office.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Unless you specifically removed the OO user profile, which deletion of OO does not remove, a reinstallation of OO will pick up such a profile and use it again and installed extensions will remain.
MarkDouglas

Post by MarkDouglas »

How do I do that exactly, my IT capabilities are limited, I have Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To rename your OO user profile if you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer (note: not Internet Explorer). Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer) Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Note that you will lose all your extensions and any other configuration you have done. Poor choice of words.

Once you rename the profile and restart AOO, you will no longer see any extensions you have installed or other customisation you have done to AOO as that information is contained in the profile. See [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile for more information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

robleyd wrote:Note that you will lose all your extensions and any other configuration you have done. See [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile for more information.
Th\at is why we recommend renaming the profile, as wanted extensions and configurations can then be brought forward to the new profile.
MarkDouglas

Post by MarkDouglas »

Ok thanks again you have just explained why the other extension was no longer there.
So now I have Open Office with just the English dictionary, what exactly do I do to get a French language dictionary working with OpenOffice?
Thanks again
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

See my earlier post about Dictionnaires français. It is, I think ,an AOO extension thatI downloaded and installed in LibreOffice.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can also use Grammalecte, which includes grammar check and dictionaries: https://grammalecte.net/#download
For AOO, you need this flavor: https://grammalecte.net/grammalecte/oxt ... 7-py27.oxt

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MarkDouglas

Re: Can't remove an extension

Post by MarkDouglas »

I just tried to down load each of these and got a complicated error, I tried to screen shoot it but that didn't work and when I searched the PC I found 187 files under Grammalecte which I could not delete
MarkDouglas

Post by MarkDouglas »

Extension Manager

5com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException) Message ="<type'exception.IOError'>:
Errno2) No such file or directory:
Etc etc for about another 8 lines
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

T he Grammalecte site under Notes on Installation has some comments on LibreOffice vs AOO that I skimmed but, given my poor French, I did not really work out the good and the bad parts. It seemed to touch on Python installations. Perhaps Hagar or another francophone could comment on it?

A quick google for Grammalecte Windows 10 problem showed up a couple of posts (https://grammalecte.net/thread.php?prj=fr&t=752, https://forum.openoffice.org/fr/forum/v ... =3&t=56359) that suggest, among other things that you may be dealing with a corrupted profile but the discussions seem to be LibreOffice oriented.

That said, as far as I can tell, I have a clean functioning Grammalecte installation in LibreOffice under Ubuntu 18.04. It removed Dictionnaires français, which it claimed was simply an old version of Grammalecte and installed smoothly.

That blasted Bambara Spell-checker is still sitting there doing nothing (I hope).
MarkDouglas

Post by MarkDouglas »

I think I'll give up and get the wife to write the French correspondence
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems that there was a problem with the Python syntax but it has been corrected.
The other possibility is a profile corruption. You can try with a brand new one if that works better (try to reset your OpenOffice user profile).
Note that Grammalecte is not compatible with Language Tool.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Blast! I forgot to include the Language Tool warning!