Writer on Server Nas

Discuss the word processor
enbadaniele

Writer on Server Nas

Post by enbadaniele »

Execuse me for my bad english, I have a problem with open office when it works on server Nas. Infact if i work on local i can open file without problem, but on server NAS (Netgear 102) it's impossible. Same problem with libre office too.

Only abiword work succefull, but i need to use openoffice.

I hope you can help me

Exceuse me again for my bad english
Attachments
Errore Openoffice_sito_rid.jpeg
openOffice 4.1.5 on Ubuntu Studio 18
RoryOF

Re: Writer on Server Nas

Post by RoryOF »

With Xubuntu 18.04.1, using an NAS (Buffalo Linkstation LS-WXL) I found that a change in one of the Ubuntu updates required me to mount my NAS differently. My NAS is mounted on boot-up by an rc.local file, of this form

Code: Select all

sleep 20

mount -t cifs //192.168.2.29/Bank -o username=xxxx,password=YYYYYY,uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=1.0 /home/XXXX/Desktop/Buffalo/Spreadsheet

The "vers=1.0" needed to be added after that early 18.04 update to allow access to the NAS.

I will shortly be commissioning a new computer and will use Gigolo to mount the NAS. What parameters that will need I cannot say.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
enbadaniele

Post by enbadaniele »

thanks for helping

ubuntu is 18.04.01

on terminal i writed it and response is "mount: /home/daniele/Scrivania: bad option; for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program."
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I am sorry - I can't help any more than I have posted other than to suggest you try Gigolo, or search some linux forums.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Do you use Abiword from the same computer where OpenOffice/Libreoffice fail?
Can you save a file to the NAS when working with Abiword (or from any other application)?
Is there sufficient free space on the share to at least save two additional copies of the document you try to open?

As long as you can access the share, it is probably correctly mounted, but the error message you get on the console command puzzles me. You could see if there is a pending update for the cifs-utils package. Another possibility is to try to specify smbfs instead of cifs. The smbfs option is deprecated, so you should get a message to that effect, but depending on which kernel version you are using, smbfs might still work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Load-Save /General and uncheck "Always Create backup copy". On one NAS device (Buffalo) I can only work from OpenOffice with this unchecked. On another NAS device (iOmega) it can be checked or unchecked for OpenOffice.
enbadaniele

Post by enbadaniele »

RoryOF wrote:Try /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Load-Save /General and uncheck "Always Create backup copy". On one NAS device (Buffalo) I can only work from OpenOffice with this unchecked. On another NAS device (iOmega) it can be checked or unchecked for OpenOffice.
Thanks, is unchecked by default, but nothing

My Nas is netgear 102