Trouble converting odt to epub and mobi

Discuss the word processor
dprowell

Trouble converting odt to epub and mobi

Post by dprowell »

I'm trying to convert my book to an ebook format like epub or mobi using calibre, but for some reason, the format is completely screwed up when I preview it. For instance, there are extra blank pages added, and the chapter names are listed like bullet points and way off center, and on their own page.

I'm not sure what's causing this issue.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Trouble converting odt to epub and mobi

Post by John_Ha »

Search with epub or mobi or calibre or kindle for lots of posts about ebooks.

Upload a small example file showing the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Calibre permits many parameters be selected to define how you want your book displayed. You will have to read their documentation or seek help on a Calibre forum. I find that a book (plain novel format) formatted using Styles (not direct formatting) will transfer well to epub formats without tweaking Calibre.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Horse

Post by Horse »

I'm having lots of troubles with Calibre's .odt to .epub conversion, too. I solved the issue you mention by changing the heading styles to another style with same formatting, but no linkage to Heading: Heading # style > modify > organizer tab > unlink from Heading (link to - None -) I used Heading 1 for chapter breaks, so I didn't unlink that one, only those with higher numbers. I think I just changed the linking to "- None -" and left the names, etc as they were.
The big problem I'm having is placement of graphic elements. Rory, is there an add-in/add-on for Writer to create .epub and/or .mobi files?
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

i think there may be, but my instinct would be to use Calibre, as its conversion process seems to me to be more highly developed than that of OpenOffice to epub. You might get more directed help on a Calibre support site.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS