Images Won't Print

Discuss the word processor
mrremodelerjohn

Images Won't Print

Post by mrremodelerjohn »

I have had a consistent problem getting images and pictures to print in Text Document files.

I have to convert the file to a PDF to get the image to print correctly.

I've updated the driver for my printer, and my boss, who uses Microsoft, downloaded the current version of OpenOffice and experienced the same problem.

I am not a "computer person", in so far as being able to dissect the essence of this communication error, but it seems that OpenOffice is not working with the latest OS update, which is 10.14.4

Any thoughts?
OpenOffice 4.1.6. on MacOS 10.14.2
RoryOF

Re: Images Won't Print

Post by RoryOF »

In Preferences > OpenOffice > Tools > Options >OpenOffice >OpenOffice Writer > Print make sure "pictures and objects" is checked under Contents. Then Press OK, and restart OpenOffice.

The path may be slightly different than I list above - I have no Mac to check it on.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mrremodelerjohn

When I first checked that path, which turned out to be OpenOffice > OpenOfficeWriter(had to have an open Writer document) > Preferences > OpenOffice Writer > Print ~ Contents DID have "Pictures and objects" checked, and "unchecking" eliminated the image when printing, but when I opened the OpenOffice again, the "Pictures and objects" was checked again.... it didn't stay "unchecked". AND the image is still an argle-bargle distortion.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In what way is the image distorted?
mrremodelerjohn

I tried uploading a PDF on my last post, but it appears the files are too big to upload. AH... after some trial and error, I think this is attached now....
Attachments
20190205_134902-1.jpeg
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I suggest you read Chapter 8 - Working with Graphics in the Writer Guide to identify what you are doing wrong.

Also read [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

Upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mrremodelerjohn

Thanks for the advice, and I'll take some time to look there. However, this did not start happening until the last Apple update. My boss and I suspect there is something in the update that changed the way the OS handles images as they send them to the printer. If I save the document as a PDF file, the images appear just fine - it is in the .odt format that the images don't appear to translate.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Format of the images?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

mrremodelerjohn wrote: this did not start happening until the last Apple update. My boss and I suspect there is something in the update that changed the way the OS handles images as they send them to the printer. If I save the document as a PDF file, the images appear just fine - it is in the .odt format that the images don't appear to translate.
That sounds a sensible idea though I cannot think of a way in which it could happen.

Please upload an example .odt file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mrremodelerjohn

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your sample file printed correctly for me and exported correctly as a PDF. In what format were the graphics when they were placed?
mrremodelerjohn

It's a logo we use. The file is a .jpg
mrremodelerjohn

I clicked my link out to the google drive and printed off the Google Drive and got SAME distortion. There is some code issue in the .odt file that is not talking to the OS, I'm thinking... but I don't know the ins-and-outs about this stuff.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suspect you are missing an operating system filter for the graphics. but until you tell what was the original format of the graphics we can only guess which filter.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

That is very strange. I can see nothing wrong with your .odt file which would prevent it printing. I get a good PDF from it.

Have you run out of colour ink in the printer? Check the colour cartridges. The text is printed from the black cartridge but the images are printed from the colour cartridge(s).

Also check that you have ticked Pictures and Objects in Tools > Options > OpenOfficeWriter > Print.

Try printing this file - it also has some coloured text. Print it from your desktop and from Google Drive.

Everything works fine on my Google drive and while accessing your Google Drive file across the web.

Incidentally, your image is too low resolution (only 138 x 138 pixels) and has been saved as a JPG, both of which mean it does not print clearly. May I suggest you go back to the original artwork and resample it to, say, 500 pixels wide, and save it as a PNG and not as a JPG. See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion.
Attachments
test.odt
(79.88 KiB) Downloaded 92 times