OpenOffice on a USB stick

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bstjean

OpenOffice on a USB stick

Post by bstjean »

I have OpenOffice 4.1.6 installed on Windows 10.

First, is there a way to install OpenOffice on a USB stick that I can use on another Windows PC that doesn't have OpenOffice installed?

Second, if I create such a USB stick, is there any risk that this would corrupt my OpenOffice already installed on my PC?

Third, do I need a special version (URL if this is the case) of OO to create such a disk?

tia
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: OpenOffice on a USB stick

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While OpenOffice is intended to be installed to a hard drive, due to the space and location requirements, not just for the program, but also for the configuration files.
I haven't tried this myself, but I would lean towards using one of the portable versions, rather than the full version.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

https://portableapps.com/ offers both OpenOffice and its successor LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bstjean

Post by bstjean »

Now (drum roll), how do I set up all the java JARS (JRE & connector) on a USB stick so Base can work *only* from such a USB installation ?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Are you sure you need any Java features? Most people don't.
Copy the JRE directory from your local PC to the stick and point the portable office to that JRE.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
bstjean

Post by bstjean »

Yes! For Base. The JRE & Connector are necessary in my case (just MySQL connector)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I would expect that a simple directory copy works if the bitness factor is matched (32 vs 64 bit)
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

There is also Java installer as a PortableApps .paf.exe file here: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable. It downloads Java while running and places it into "...\PortableApps\CommonFiles\Java of the PortableApps default folder structure.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München