Text box continues on second page...

Discuss the word processor
enginnheima

Text box continues on second page...

Post by enginnheima »

Hello again!

Another thing, I was wondering if there is no way to have a text box continue onto the second page, and even onto third page and so forth?

Regards
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOs Sierra
RoryOF

Re: text box continues on second page...

Post by RoryOF »

Use Frames and link them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
enginnheima

Post by enginnheima »

Thank you for your very quick answer!

I was reading upon the linking frames subject and I came across this: "You cannot link from a frame to more than one other frame." But I would like it to flow on several pages...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can link from one frame to one other, but the second frame can be on another page. That frame can in turn link on to a third etc. - a daisy chain, if you know the expression.

One frame cannot link to multiple frames at the same level, i.e. Frame 1 cannot link to frame2A, frame2B, frame 2C etc, which all sit beside each other
enginnheima

Post by enginnheima »

ok thanks

sounds a bit tedious. And do you know if I can link them in a way that if I change the size or the position of the first one, the rest will automatically follow, or would I always have to change all the frames, one by one to match the properties of the first one?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I know, the frames are all independently sized, but if linked, the text flow will change according to the space available for it in an altered frame, subject to any other formatting styles you have applied to that text.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is very possible that normal page to page text flow can accommodate your need. Please tell us what (not how) you are trying to achieve.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Note also that one can have several chains of Frames in the one document FA1-FA2-FA3 etc, FB1-FB2-FB3 etc, FC1-FC2-FC3 etc.

But one cannot crosslink from one chain to another

If I had a project that absolutely required chains to a major extent (say through the complete length of a book) and I could not find or decide upon an alternate formatting, I'd be considering a macro solution; this would not be a trivial task - I would expect several days' work to research and write, and equally several days to debug and fine tune.
 Edit: My estimate of "several days" is based on my programming experience and previous outline acquaintance with OO macros. I do not have the detailed macro knowledge of some other contributors to Forum, but I would still expect them to take some time to arrive at a workable solution, a solution that might still need manual editing for final adjustment, 
enginnheima

Re: Text box continues on second page...

Post by enginnheima »

Thanks for your suggestions and time!