What controls the Destination Paper Size? - OS X 10.12

Discuss the word processor
ap1

What controls the Destination Paper Size? - OS X 10.12

Post by ap1 »

Does anyone know what controls the default "Destination Paper Size" and how you can change the default? This relates to using Mac OS X 10.12.
openoffice-destination-paper-size-mac.jpg
I ask because my Mom's using OpenOffice and her default somehow changed to something like "Card: US Letter" and she can no longer print 2-sided from OpenOffice Writer. She's printing to an HP ENVY Photo 7858 color ink jet printer. I'm trying to change the default to regular US Letter size, but I can't figure out how. She really needs to print 2-sides again. I know I can check "Scale to fit paper size" and change the Destination Paper Size, but that's document by document. I want to change the default so she doesn't have to fiddle with that every time.

So, can someone help solve the mystery of what controls the default Destination Paper Size and how to change the default?

Thanks in advance.
OpenOffice 4.1 on MacOS 10.12
MrProgrammer

Re: What controls the Destination Paper Size? - OS X 10.12

Post by MrProgrammer »

ap1 wrote:I'm trying to change the default to regular US Letter size, but I can't figure out how. … Does anyone know what controls the default "Destination Paper Size" and how you can change the default?
Load US Letter paper in the printer. Use Format → Page → Page → Paper Format and ensure that it is set to Letter. Now use File → Print → Paper Handling to see if you get Suggested Paper: US Letter. If not, I suggest you select US Letter as the Destination Paper Size (enabling Scale to Fit Paper Size if needed). You may want to enable the Two-sided option now if that is what is most commonly used. Then Presets → Save Current Settings as Preset → {ChooseName} → OK. I believe the printer dialog will remember this new preset next time you print if you clear, in Presets → Show Presets, the option Reset Presets Menu to "Default Settings" After Printing.

If not, perhaps you can try to save the preset as Default Settings, though that preset may be protected. However if the current preset isn't Default Settings, choose that and see if it includes the US Letter paper size you want.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ references the print dialog in Q35/A35 though I don't think that discussion applies in this situation.

If any of this advice solves your problem, others on the forum would want to know specifically what you did as a solution, so please post that here.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You need to understand the difference between PAPER SIZE and PAGE SIZE. They are completely different things and completely independent of each other.

You have to tell the printer driver what size of paper you are using so you set it in the printer properties. It has nothing to do with AOO and nothing to do with any application. You can do it directly in MacOS or Windows.

You then tell AOO what size of page you want to use. This is completely independent of the paper size in the printer. However it is usual to set the page size to be the same as the paper size in the printer you will be using.

When you print you tell AOO how you want to match the page size to the printer paper size - shrink to fit? Multiple pages per sheet? etc.

AOO and other applications allow you to talk to the printer driver to tell the printer what size of paper you are using. Even though you access it through AOO you are talking to the printer driver and the value is stored in the printer and not in AOO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ap1

Post by ap1 »

MrProgrammer and John_Ha: Thank you for your replies. I'll try your suggestions.
MrProgrammer: If there's a solution, I'll post a reply so others can know what worked.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

ap1 wrote:Does anyone know what controls the default "Destination Paper Size" and how you can change the default? This relates to using Mac OS X 10.12.
Open System Preferences (on menu bar click on >System Preferences}
Click on Printers & Scanners
Choose the printer you are using
Set "Default Paper Size to "US Letter"
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
ap1

Post by ap1 »

lgusaas: I tried that and it didn't work. The size I pick in System Preferences doesn't appear as the Suggested Paper in the Destination Paper Size field. Did you actually see it change in your testing?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

ap1 wrote:lgusaas: I tried that and it didn't work. The size I pick in System Preferences doesn't appear as the Suggested Paper in the Destination Paper Size field. Did you actually see it change in your testing?
The size set in Systems Preferences is for the size of paper actually used in your printer.

The Suggested Paper in the Destination Paper Size field is based on the page size set in Format/Page of the document you are printing. If it is set to US Letter the Suggested Paper in the Destination Paper Size field will be US Letter. If set to A4 the suggested size will be A4. If set to #10 envelope suggested size will be #10 envelope.

What is the page formatting for the document you are trying to print? Check in the menu bar Format/Page/Page under Paper Format
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
ap1

Post by ap1 »

lgusaas: Thanks for the follow-up. I can't verify 100% right now what the Format/Page size is because I don't have access to my Mom's computer. What I do know is that the Suggested Paper in Destination Paper Size shows as "Index card Letter 8.5x11in" in the Two-Sided printing alert -- based on a screenshot I took at the time.
double-sided-alert.png
The thing that's weird is that I'm 90% sure I checked the Format/Page setting and it was US Letter. Plus, the document looked like that size in the main window. Plus, I tried a brand new Write document and it did the same thing -- displayed the Two-Sided printing alert with "Index card...".

I will check the Format/Page setting again, and make sure it's US Letter. However, I have a hunch my Mom may have accidentally pressed a couple keys or something and had some keyboard shortcut activate to change something. I've seen that before.

The great thing is that I've learned this with 100% certainty from you and MrProgrammer: The Suggested Paper in the Destination Paper Size field is based on the page size set in Format/Page of the document you are printing. That certainty helps a lot.

Now I just need to find out if the setting is having trouble behind the scenes -- displaying as US Letter in Format/Page, but displaying and functioning as "Index card..." in Destination Paper Size and the Two-Sided alert.

Thanks again!
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It may be the paper type setting, where the duplexer has a smaller roller which would crease heavier "card" type paper, so duplex print is disabled for that type.
Last edited by keme on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't use a Mac, but I did find a similar discussion with a suggestion to "reset printing system" here:

Page setup problem
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04