[Solved] Install LO with AOO already installed Ubuntu 18.04

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
jrkrideau
Volunteer

[Solved] Install LO with AOO already installed Ubuntu 18.04

Post by jrkrideau »

I purged LibreOffice and installed AOO 4.1.5 about a year ago.

Recently I tried to install Gimp or Inkscape and get reports of "unmet dependencies" See error messages at bottom of post. A bit of searching on the forum and some googling did not turn up anything.

An attempt to just install LibreOffice met with failure. In both cases the command 'apt --fix-broken install' returned the message
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.2_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package openoffice-debian-menus 4.1.5-9789
Can anyone suggest something? I know that someone on the forumkreported successfully installing AOO with an already installed LibreOffice but I would prefer to avoid what looked like a rather fraught procedure which would mean purging AOO and then doing two installations.
sudo apt-get install gimp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gimp : Depends: libgimp2.0 (>= 2.8.22) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgimp2.0 (<= 2.8.22-z) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gimp-data (>= 2.8.22) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gimp-data (<= 2.8.22-z) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-gtk2 (>= 2.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libbabl-0.1-0 (>= 0.1.10) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgegl-0.3-0 (>= 0.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-core : Depends: libreoffice-common (> 1:6.0.7) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-java-common : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.2) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-style-galaxy : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.2) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-style-tango : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
FJCC

Re: Install LibreOffice with AOO already installed Ubuntu 18

Post by FJCC »

Are you trying to install LibreOffice from the Ubuntu repository or by downloading from the LibreOffice site? About a year ago I purged LibreOffice, installed OpenOffice, then downloaded from the LibreOffice site and installed that. I do not recall having any problems and I cannot find any notes about it, which is usually a sign that the process went smoothly. I am on Linux Mint 18.3, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04, I think.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Blast it! I am downloading from the Ubuntu repository. It never occurred to me to try a direct download from the LibreOffice site. :oops:

My first instinct is to do a "sudo apt-get install XXX" and only got to a direct download if the repository does not have the program. I'll give it a try in the morning.

Thanks
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I had both AOO and LO installed on Ubuntu Mate 18.10, but an LO update this morning failed. I have removed both AOO and LO and am currently reinstalling LO using

Code: Select all

sudo snap install libreoffice
and will then reinstall AOO. I haven't used snap packages before so I don't know how it's going to work out.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Following FJCC's suggestion I downloaded LibreOffice. It installed as smooth as silk.

Gimp is still giving me the same blasted error messages. Maybe I'll buy some coloured markers.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I copied /opt/openoffice4/ from another hard disk to "install" OpenOffice. Works exactly as a regular installaton from Debian packages. I use AOO as secondary suite without "desktop integration".
For what it's worth: You must not use the Wayland display server. Always use the conventional X11 server. When logging in, you can choose between the 2 display servers by clicking the gear wheel icon. With Wayland all LibreOffice toolbars are docked. They can not float anymore. OpenOffice crashes the whole Gnome desktop when using toolbar buttons with drop-down functionality (e.g. Writers border style for text tables) unless the toolbars are docked which could be the reason why they are not allowed to be floating in LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Now I cannot even remove LibreOffice. Argh!

Neither Rory's approach nor a similar one stumbled over on the internet

sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove
are doing anything useful. Oh well, I just will have to install everything using binaries.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jrkrideau wrote:An attempt to just install LibreOffice met with failure. In both cases the command 'apt --fix-broken install' returned the message
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.2_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package openoffice-debian-menus 4.1.5-9789
Removing the openoffice-debian-menus package allowed me to fix the broken libreoffice installation:

sudo dpkg -r openoffice-debian-menus
sudo apt --fix-broken install
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Hi Bill,
What happens to the AOO menus?

I would rather deal with some binaries than lose my AOO for the moment.. LibreOffice is fine but, aesthetically, I find menus and other things a bit to florid.

Still, Ubuntu has been acting a bit strangely the last week or so and I am considering a new clean install though with a bit of dread.

Thanks
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have not a second (spare) drive, rush out and buy an SSD drive - for linux 30 GB is ample, but 120 GB may only be Can $ 50-60. Install to that - the speed increase in booting is great.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What happens to the AOO menus?
open-office-debian-menus has nothing to do with AOO's own menus. It is the desktop integration package which integrates AOO starters into the applications menu and open-with... context menu. Without that package, you can start AOO via Alt+F2 or with symlinks to /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice or with a hand made openoffice4.desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications
A valid *.desktop - flagged as executable file - integrates any program you want into your applications menu. It is not even necessary to install the program from Debian packages. My AOO used to be a copy of /opt/openoffice4/ from another machine. Meanwhile I did install downloaded packages to the same place but it makes no difference at all. A complete /opt/openoffice4/ plus profile folder plus optional ~/.local/share/applications/openoffice4.desktop gives a running OpenOffice installation.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I just did a new clean install. So far so good.