How do I stop alt from selecting the file menu?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Question

How do I stop alt from selecting the file menu?

Post by Question »

Im alt-tabbing between openoffice calc and another program to fill in data, and pressing alt seems to select the file menu. This is slowing me down a lot. Instead of alt-tabbing back to open office and then typing, I have to select the cell again before I can start typing.
OOo 3.2 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: How do I stop alt from selecting the file menu?

Post by RusselB »

From the conversation at https://superuser.com/questions/309005/ ... -windows-7, it appears that it is possible using 3rd party software, but not via a Windows setting.
I've not used the 3rd party software referred to in the conversation, thus I recommend using it with caution if you decide to do so.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Please confirm that you're using OOo 3.2 on Windows 7. There was a bug in some older versions of OOo, but that was only on Linux, not Windows. You should have to release the Alt key before the File menu pops up which wouldn't interfere with Alt-tabbing.

Issue 81846 - Alt key menu behavior changed in Linux from 2.2->2.3, and is now inconsistent with Windows
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Question

Post by Question »

Bill wrote:Please confirm that you're using OOo 3.2 on Windows 7. There was a bug in some older versions of OOo, but that was only on Linux, not Windows. You should have to release the Alt key before the File menu pops up which wouldn't interfere with Alt-tabbing.

Issue 81846 - Alt key menu behavior changed in Linux from 2.2->2.3, and is now inconsistent with Windows
Well, when i alt-tab, i release the alt key...theres no way to get OO to change what alt does?
OOo 3.2 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Are you using Alt-Ctrl-Tab instead of just Alt-Tab? That doesn't work in my OS and I have no idea how it works in Windows 7.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

When you press the Tab key, are you still holding down the Alt key? If you aren't, then the release of the Alt key activates the menu, then the Tab key does, whatever it does at that point.
To do a Window change/cycle, you have to hold the Alt key down while pressing the Tab key. This sequence is part of the Windows OS, and has been since version 3.0
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Question

Post by Question »

Okay to clarify, lets say that I have OO as the main window right.

So I press alt+tab to switch to the 2nd window.

Then I press alt+tab to switch back to OO.

When i switch back to OO, i find that OO has selected the file menu which is not what i want it to do. I dont have any issues doing this in any other application like notepad ++ or whatever, this is an OO specific thing.
OOo 3.2 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

That doesn't happen on my system running Linux. I don't have a Windows system to test, so I don't know if this is a Windows thing or something that may be happening because of some setting on your system. There is no option to change the way it works in AOO.

Issue 80604 - lone alt keybinding in menu considered harmful