Opening File Issue

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
mcbrim

Opening File Issue

Post by mcbrim »

I've run into a rather bizarre problem. I recently changed encryption services, but that seems to have sort of corrupted how OpenOffice loads some of my files. However, the corruption is in a bizarre form that I've never seen before.

What happens:
- I open the file
- OpenOffice program opens (this has happened in calc and writer)
- OpenOffice gets hung up at a particular point in the file opening process that doesn't change when you reopen it (sometimes the loading bar actually loads, other times it gets stuck before the loading bar can load)
- Eventually, some files will open while others will not (think 5 minute plus loading times)

Solutions I've Tried:
- Downloading a fresh copy of the file known to be openable on another computer with OpenOffice
- Copying files and opening them from a different location
- Renaming files and opening them
- Restarting my computer
- Reinstalling OpenOffice
- Removing all configuration files and doing a clean install of OpenOffice like mentioned here: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... stallation
- Installing and opening with LibreOffice (LibreOffice won't even open a blank file on my computer)

The only thing that I've found to work is opening the file on another computer with OpenOffice, saving the file to a different type, opening and saving the file back to its original type, sending it to the computer with issues and having it open. I've attached one of the files with an issue. Note that this can happen with any file that opens in OpenOffice.

I've marked this as solved because I have a solution, but it really isn't ideal. Any ideas?
Attachments
Economy of US (Toast).xlsx
Removed the Solved tag to increase the chances of people reading the topic.
(11.67 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
mcbrim

Re: Opening File Issue

Post by mcbrim »

I have also found that changing format from .xls* to .ods doesn't actually fix the problem. It has to be a non-ods format.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

mcbrim wrote:I have also found that changing format from .xls* to .ods doesn't actually fix the problem. It has to be a non-ods format.
Please note that some people think that renaming a file from .xls to .ods changes the format of the saved file. It does not.
If your encryption service requires the non-standard Microsoft Office file formats, then I would suspect that Microsoft is behind that encryption service and/or I would be suspicious of the service.
An encryption service, imo, should work with any file, irrelevant as to the format of that file.

Is it possible for you to temporarily disable the encryption service in order to test if the file(s) will load correctly without it in place/active?
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mcbrim

Post by mcbrim »

Yes, whether the file is encrypted or not makes no difference. Renaming made no difference I had to use save as.