Cloud Suite for OpenOffice / LibreOffice

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
psilocybe

Cloud Suite for OpenOffice / LibreOffice

Post by psilocybe »

Hello everyone,

Would not it be nice to be able to directly in OpenOffice / LibreOffice:
- "Open", "Save", "Rename" files located on the Cloud.
- Having "Source of the address book" our contacts available on the Cloud, allowing merging (mailing) a document with these contacts.
- Send these contacts e-mail messages by merging a template.
- Maybe there's something else that Cloud offers us ...

Each function can be seen as an extension (an .oxt file).
Cloud can be: Apple ICloud, Google Drive and Contact, Facebook, Tweeter, actually any provider of such services ...

This project does not lack ambition, and I seek volunteers in order to be able to make it progress.
Thanks in advance
LibreOffice 5.3.3.2 - Lubuntu 16.10 - LxQt 0.11.0.3
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Cloud Suite for OpenOffice / LibreOffice

Post by Zizi64 »

Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

"Cloud" is just another word for "Server". I can do all this with my own little file server. I do not trust any of the companies you mention.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi,
The cloud versions of the LibreOffice are:
This allows work online, but what if no internet connection ... and what about your phone contact...
Check this post for more details: https://forum.openoffice.org/fr/forum/v ... 39#p322872
"Cloud" is just another word for "Server".
I often send an email to someone who is already in my phone (Android or other ...) and I do not like the copy paste, and I never do backup, and...
I have to use the Cloud, just chosen in one.

I do not hide that I prefer the answers of volunteers
Thank you
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is no free lunch. You have to pay for a server (aka "cloud"). Either you pay money for your own server, someone else's server, someone's software package or you pay indirectly via subsidized hardware, your attention, your identity or all together.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi,

Well here, I answer you from an Android phone, and now if you know better and cheaper ...

Please I prefer no troll.
Thanks to the volunteers ...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I don't own any smart phone. I just wanted to point out that a free (as in free beer) software project can not subsidize servers.
Since I run my own little server, I could provide services to any kind of device independently from the operating system.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

I don't own any smart phone.
I answer you from a smart phone, which even allows me to have access to the internet...
I just wanted to point out that a free (as in free beer) software project can not subsidize servers.
If you have phone, server is free... and if we do nothing, OpenOffice / LibreOffice will become moribund software ... No more usable, has been...
For septics, they are trying to send a greeting card to all (or some of) their contacts present in their smart phone, with OpenOffice ... Good luck, I'm waiting for the answers ...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Free servers do not exist. You always have to pay, one way or the other.
Free software (free as in free speech) does not cease to exist as long as someone is able to compile the source code.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I do something similar to what you're talking about, or at least I think it's similar, by having my Dropbox account as the path in the My Documents setting (accessed via Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Paths)
While I pay for my Dropbox access, it's due to the amount of storage I want available through them. They do have no charge access, but, imo, it's still not free as you get ads when you access the website directly.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi,
but, imo, it's still not free as you get ads when you access the website directly.
It is for sure that we are able to have extensions without ads...
It's called enjoying the best, but you have to roll up your sleeves...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

psilocybe wrote:It's called enjoying the best, but you have to roll up your sleeves...
who exactly?
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Who want enjoying the best, as you pointed out nothing is free ...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

For people like you the very best office suite on the market is Office365. It is quite affordable and includes all the services you want.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi Villeroy,

I think you really understood nothing...
The only thing is, I think, without knowing, that it is very easy to send greetings under 365
to his phone contact...
If that does not interest you, leave this thread, and stop polluting it.
Denigrate the work of others is useless.
Thank you to stop the troll.
I'm waiting for volunteers...
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Villeroy gave you an available option.
The fact that you don't like that option does not qualify the post as a troll.
Other suggestions have been made, but you seem to be ignoring them due to the fact that they may not (or don't) have all of the options you're looking for.
This forum is run by end users to help end users use the product.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi RusselB,

What I'm looking for is volunteers to start a new project (if you read my first post you can check), but certainly not advice telling me that 365 is the solution.
If it's not troll then it's bull shit ... And I remain polite...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We would like to see what work you have done towards your stated goal.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What I'm looking for is volunteers to start a new project (if you read my first post you can check), .
:D :lol: :bravo: :ucrazy:
If you need a new feature or function, then YOU must be the first volunteer. Start the new project, organize the new project, manage the new project, share the new project and then (later) (maybe) the volunteers will join to the project and they (maybe) will support it.

Otherwise the latest LibreOffice versions have the "Save Remote" function. You can add your own cloud storage places to the LibreOffice by the "Add service" button in the Menu item
File - Save Remote
Remote files.png

(Maybe you need enable the "experimental functions" in the settings)

And you can send the documents as an attachment of an E-mail through a real Email client like the Thunderbird.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi RoryOF,

For now some bricks:
- An Uno OAuth2 API in a python extension (OAuth2OOo)
- An UCP running for Google Drive in a python extension (gDriveOOo)
- A Google Contact integration (need Thunderbird as Addressbook gateway) in a python extension (gContactOOo)
- A Google Mail OAuth2.0 in a python extension (gMailOOo)

You can see that on Github, and if you fork, we can share it... :-)
https://github.com/prrvchr

Things that would be good to do:
OAuth2OOo: it would be good if the service is presented as an Interaction handler (if possible), the current version is already multi provider.
gDriveOOo: correct the issues, finish the offline mode and make the code ready for the multi provider.
gContactOOo: should be rewritten if possible with a Wizard and especially make it independent of Thunderbird by a new extension able to synchronize the contacts of the Cloud with a local base hsqldb allowing an offline mode.
GMailOOo: Should be rewritten to rely on OAuth2OOo, the current version of OAuth2, integrated, not being multi provider.

As you can see there is still a lot of work, that's why I'm looking for help.

And I hope if we succeed that the entire community OpenOffice / LibreOffice will benefit ... (who will not agree to be able to consult his IPhone contacts from an OpenOffice on a PC ? )
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Did you share your briliant ideas with the LIbreOffice developer community? They will be surprised for sure.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi Villeroy,

No, unfortunately I work alone, and besides that does not make things easy.
And I do not know the LibreOffice developer community... :( but that's what I'm looking for here ... :)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

And I do not know the LibreOffice developer community... :( but that's what I'm looking for here ... :)
This is a common User Forum for AOO/LO (and for other derivates). There are not developers here.

Try it at the "The Document Fundation" (LibreOffice developers) or at the "Collabora" (Collabora Online, Collabora Office developers), or at the "Apache" (the OpenOffice developers)...
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi everyone,

I managed to finalize a first version of gDriveOOo.

This first version allows:
- open, save, save as, Office files as well as Google Documents.
- To work offline, on the cached files (file that has been opened in online mode) with automatic resynchronization (For now, Office needs to be restarted to detect changes online / offline, and a change must be made to start synchronization)

I had the opportunity to test with OpenOffice and LibreOffice on linux, LibreOffice on Windows (which I find a bit slow) ... but not on Mac, I do not have the possibility, so I invite all those who can test ...
Installation instruction: https://github.com/prrvchr/gDriveOOo/bl ... /README.md

Although this first version only manages Google as a provider, I think it is possible to refactor it to make it multi-provider. Am open to all proposals.
One possibility is to see each provider as an extension calling a UCP service provided by a basic extension Universal Content Provider ... Thank you for your suggestions ...

If the remote file management is more or less done, it remains to do the project of the remote address book.
It would be good to integrate as well as possible in Open / LibreOffice, and to do so, to follow the specifications of the address book of Office.
I can not find any information about this, could someone help me ...

Thanks.
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi,

@Villeroy: Something better than Office365:

https://github.com/prrvchr/oneDriveOOo

Enjoy
Newanton
Banned

Post by Newanton »

Well, that sounds like a truly great and useful thing. Have you actually realized this project? I would be very likely to use it, considering how easier it would make my life. The fact that you can edit the files and save them directly on your cloud storage is fantastic.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Newanton wrote:Well, that sounds like a truly great and useful thing. Have you actually realized this project? I would be very likely to use it, considering how easier it would make my life. The fact that you can edit the files and save them directly on your cloud storage is fantastic.
Go ahead, lonesome pioneer. https://github.com/prrvchr/oneDriveOOo/pulse/monthly
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Well, that sounds like a truly great and useful thing. Have you actually realized this project? I would be very likely to use it, considering how easier it would make my life. The fact that you can edit the files and save them directly on your cloud storage is fantastic.
Yes this project is now realized...

The use of remote files is possible in the following environment:
- Google Drive: gDriveOOo
- Microsoft OneDrive: oneDriveOOo
- Dropbox: DropboxOOo
It is even possible to work offline. A synchronization of the changes taking place during the reconnection.

The use of remote addressbook is possible in the following environment:
- Google Contacts: gContactOOo
- Nextcloud server: vCardOOo
These two extensions allow you to have your Android phone contacts in a local read-only HsqlDB database with automatic change synchronization.

Using email merge in Writer is now possible with smtpMailerOOO on any email server including Google GMail.
This extension makes it possible to send, to mailing lists, email in HTML format with possibly attached files in PDF format, all merged with your phone contacts.
It gives you access, with free software like LibreOffice and an Android phone, to an information system that only big companies can afford.
More information on this thread smtpMailerOOo version 0.0.2.