Dark layout/UI possible with OpenOffice?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Zhakathoom

Dark layout/UI possible with OpenOffice?

Post by Zhakathoom »

Hello, I've been searching and looking for a solution to this to no awail. It's perhaps a strange request, but since I'm often using OO writer in a dark environment (low ambient lighting - Running RPG campaigns) and also on a portable PC running on battery (I'm thinking a darker screen would use less battery), I'm looking for the option of making the OO programs themselves, not just the "program background" or "document background", but the frames going around and the menus; dark. Currently I've found a download in one of the Linux posts but it's not for this Version of OO (4.1.6) and also it's Linux so the extraction path doesn't seem to match what I'm seeing on my PC so I wouldn't know where to put it..

Is there any solution to this? I would be really Grateful for any assistance as it would greatly relieve my eyes as well as, I hope, my laptop battery.

Thanks
-Z
Openoffice 4 Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Dark layout/UI possible with OpenOffice?

Post by Bill »

Have you tried the dark mode in Windows 10? If you don't know how, try a Google search. I don't use Windows 10.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Also see Tools > Options > Appearance.

Turn the screen down to low brightness.

Add a neutral filter screen over the laptop screen.

See f.luxTitle.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zhakathoom

Post by Zhakathoom »

Bill wrote:Have you tried the dark mode in Windows 10? If you don't know how, try a Google search. I don't use Windows 10.
Yes I have my Windows 10 theme set to dark. I also have the dark setting for office/word set to on, as well as dark theme for Edge(browser) but the OpenOffice is still glaringly light grey.

- Z
Openoffice 4 Windows 10
Zhakathoom

Post by Zhakathoom »

John_Ha wrote:Also see Tools > Options > Appearance.

Turn the screen down to low brightness.

Add a neutral filter screen over the laptop screen.

See f.luxTitle.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Thanks for Your input. The Tools/Appearance only changes colors of the "work area", but as far as I can tell there is no option to change the light grey of menues, the background of helper-Windows like "Documentstructure"/"Navigation" and the frames, rulers and sliders around the work area (I'm not on the English Version so Things might be called differently than my retranslated Norwegian terms.).

Something like the MS Word dark theme is what I'm looking for. I found a discussion on these forums where you could download and extract a file to make that happen, but it was for Linux and an earlier Version of OO.

- Z
Openoffice 4 Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I found a discussion on these forums where you could download and extract a file to make that happen, but it was for Linux and an earlier Version of OO.
Can you link to what you found? It is possible that the fix might work across platforms and versions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zhakathoom

Post by Zhakathoom »

robleyd wrote:
I found a discussion on these forums where you could download and extract a file to make that happen, but it was for Linux and an earlier Version of OO.
Can you link to what you found? It is possible that the fix might work across platforms and versions.
Yes, this is the topic I discovered: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38465

I might have misunderstood some of the info in the thread there, but the screenshots provided inititally is Close to what I'm looking for.

On a sidenote I installed LibreOffice and that has more options to customize the colors of the program itself as opposed to OO's "workspace" customization limitations. Provided LO works like I need it too (Navigationpane etc) I might end up using that.

- Z
Openoffice 4 Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Sorry, I can't match that to a later release of AOO; possibly one of our longer term contributors may have a suggestion.
 Edit: The download contains two files, UI.xcu and ExtendedColorScheme.xcu 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

robleyd wrote:Sorry, I can't match that to a later release of AOO; possibly one of our longer term contributors may have a suggestion.
Not I; I was a printer in earlier life and work onscreen with WYSIWYG representation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS