[Solved] chart line

Discuss the spreadsheet application
charmison

[Solved] chart line

Post by charmison »

Hi, I have a Calc sheet on which I have three charts, see attached. Two of the charts are fine, Growth Units and Moderate Units; however the Total Value chart goes haywire after line 137. In the Data Range box if I enter line (cell) 137 as the last value the line plots each data point correctly, but if 138 or greater is the last value the line "flattens out" dramatically. Hope someone can help.

I wrote above that the Growth Units chart was fine, but actually it has a glitch as well. In the centre of the chart the numbers 1.7064 and 14089 appear, I'm not sure where they came from, although 1.7064 is the value in cell D101, perhaps 14089 has something to do with the date in that line? If you click in the centre of the chart the numbers go away.

Thanks, Chuck
Attachments
Super value.ods
(63.55 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7 Professional
MrProgrammer

Re: chart line

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
charmison wrote:… however the Total Value chart goes haywire after line 137. In the Data Range box if I enter line (cell) 137 as the last value the line plots each data point correctly, but if 138 or greater is the last value the line "flattens out" dramatically.
I do not understand "goes haywire" or "flattens out dramatically". Here is what I see when I open your Super value.ods file.
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 18.06.01 .png
charmison wrote: In the centre of the chart the numbers 1.7064 and 14089 appear, I'm not sure where they came from …
They are the text of embedded object (your chart). You probably added the text to the object by accident. Single click the chart, press F2, backspace to delete the text, and press the ESC key (or click outside the chart) to finish the edit.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
charmison

Post by charmison »

Hi, thanks for the advice on removing the text, simple!
I've attached what the chart line looks like if I change the Data Range to B137. As you can see it is much more representative of the data points.
Attachments
Super value.ods
(62.85 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The difference I see between the charts you like and the ones you don't is the y axis scale. I don't know why Calc sets the y axis minimum to zero when the point at B138 is included. You can adjust the y axis scale by going to the menu item Format -> Axis -> Y axis and then clicking on the Scale tab. Remove the selection from Automatic next to the Minimum value and then set the value to about 300000.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
charmison

Post by charmison »

Fixed! Thanks so much!