Writer bug? Closing one document closes everything else

Discuss the word processor
fristi63

Writer bug? Closing one document closes everything else

Post by fristi63 »

Using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Thinkpad T470.

I have a big gripe with LibreOffice lately. It seems to crash frequently lately, and not long after that started happening, closing one document now forces all other documents and LibreOffice Writer to close altogether. Reopening Writer, I get asked to Recover the documents that were all closed together, but it's a really annoying bug that I don't know how to fix. I already removed my User Profile, but it's continuing to happen.

I did recently install a Mendeley plugin, but as far as I can tell, this behaviour was already happening before then. Never seen this happening in Calc (which is the only other LO program I frequently use). Does anyone have any clues on how to remedy this? Much obliged!
LibreOffice Version: 5.1.6.2.

Linux Mint Sylvia 18.3 Cinnamon. Kernel 4.10.0-38 (64 bit).
RoryOF

Re: Writer bug? Closing one document closes everything else

Post by RoryOF »

I have just checked using OO. I can close any one of a number of open documents (using /File /Close) without closing any of the others.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
fristi63

Post by fristi63 »

Thanks Rory. It started happening recently here. No idea what caused the bug to appear. For what it's worth, I'm using LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice.

For some documents, when I Save them first and then Close them, they don't cause the others to close too. For others, this makes no difference. I can also see no relation to the file format (whether it's a docx or odt file). :crazy:

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
fristi63

Post by fristi63 »

John_Ha wrote:See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
Thanks John. Will look into that. However, that can be quite complicated when sharing documents with people who don't use Writer...

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If one must share documents for editing, then it is best if all use the same applications. If the documents are shared only for reading, send them as PDF files.
fristi63

Post by fristi63 »

RoryOF wrote:If one must share documents for editing, then it is best if all use the same applications. If the documents are shared only for reading, send them as PDF files.
In an ideal world... couldn't agree more. However, the reality is that I need to edit files made by lots of different people that either use Windows, others use Mac, and yet others use Linux. Can't really help (or, in fact) change that. In my situation, the solution would be for me to shift to using Microsoft programs, which is not really an option.

We're slowly moving away from my initial problem, though. Which is: Writer freaking out. Could it be caused by trying to edit /.docx files? And if so, would it help to first convert to .odt, then edit, then save as .docx and send them onwards?

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Modern MS Word will open and save .odt, apart from some omissions by Microsoft in their implementation.