[Solved] Can't open file after outage

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
BronsonGG

[Solved] Can't open file after outage

Post by BronsonGG »

Greetings.

Today I was using the Calc program and the power went out. When I restarted the computer the spreadsheet I was using was not recovered, and now when I click on it the attached image appears and the sheet is empty.
If I open a NEW spreadsheet and from there go to File > recent documents and click on the file it asks me for ASCII filter options and then a TEXT document opens up filled with HASHTAGS. I know there is information on the sheet because the size of it (872 KB) but can't open it.

How con I dot it?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Openoffice 4.1.3
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Can't open file after outage

Post by robleyd »

The bad news first; your file is totally corrupted and contains no useful data. First, try the suggestions in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files and you may be able to recover something, If nothing is recoverable, as soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
BronsonGG

Post by BronsonGG »

Hi there, thanks for the answer.

Downloaded a recovery program that found an earlier copy of the sheet, one dated December. When I tried opening it it said:

Document file xxxxx is locked for editing by:
Unknown user.
Open Document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.

(see attachment)

When I tried opening it, nothing happened, just a blank page. BUT then, I found an even earlier copy of the sheet, dated August in my DropBox. When I open this new sheet inside DropBox I can open it no problem, when I open it in another computer I can open it no problem, but when I download the file into MY computer the system tells me it is locked again, the same image as the attachment. That file works, but not in my computer! :shock:

Edit: hold on. It works as long as the file is inside a folder, if it is on the desktop the attached image shows up, but not when I move it into any folder on my computer. :shock: :shock:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.3 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Openoffice 4.1.3
Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The warning about the file being locked is a result of the original crash. When OpenOffice opens a file it writes a small temporary with a name starting with .~lock. That file is normally deleted when you close the file but a crash may prevent that. To fix that, open the folder that the file is in and select the menu View. Select the checkbox for Hidden Items. Look for a file whose name starts with .~lock and continues with the name of your file and delete it. You should then be able to open your file.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
BronsonGG

Post by BronsonGG »

That sorted it. Thanks.
Openoffice 4.1.3
Windows 10