Help with Software

Discuss the word processor
sunnyrose1994

Help with Software

Post by sunnyrose1994 »

Hi
I am using OpenOffice for our Parish magazine. Why when I change something way down in my document do I go back to the top and things have changed up there. :evil:

Also how do I take out pages without upsetting the rest of the document?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Help with Software

Post by Bill »

It sounds like you may need desktop publishing software if you want to add, remove and lay out individual pages. OpenOffice doesn't have a desktop publishing component. Writer is a word processor which adds and deletes pages automatically when content is added or deleted.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

sunnyrose1994 wrote:Hi
Also how do I take out pages without upsetting the rest of the document?
for every first paragraph on a page use a pagebreak. Then you can delete whole pages without destroying the layout of the other pages.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Think about using a Master Document for the magazine where each article is a sub-document. You can then easily move articles throughout the magazine by dragging them in the docked navigator. The only disadvantage is that you cannot use a multi-column layout - each article must cover the entire page width.

I have used it for years and it is very simple and effective. See this post. The links no longer work - let me know if you want a set of files.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For less complex page oriented formatting, one can use Impress. Probably not good enough for a Parish Magazine.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

For some level of DTP functionality, you may consider using frames. Create the required number of pages by inserting page breaks. Insert frames to hold all your content.

By default, the frames have a border which may not be desirable for magazine content. You can edit the frame style to adjust borders for all frames, or manually format each frame if you so desire.

For content that spills to next page, you can link frames. This way it is also possible to skip forward, "continued on page xxx". Automated generation of continuation page number is not straightforward, but with a moderately sized magazine you should do OK with entering this manually.