[Solved] Tape measure tool

Discuss the drawing application
ColinB

[Solved] Tape measure tool

Post by ColinB »

Using OpenOffice Draw 4.1.6 as a lightweight CAD package. Even simple geometric shapes and lines needed for designing a wardrobe need positioning and measuring lengths and openings. Ideally, a tool that allows one to click on an edge or end of line and drag out to another point or edge with popup window showing scale dimension. Also useful if the two selected points or edges can be moved until required dimension or gap is realised.

I have explored the dimension line tool but it's just not useful.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 64bit
keme
Volunteer

Re: tape measure tool

Post by keme »

I believe the dimension lines is the best you can do in Draw.

Other typical CAD operations are also missing from Draw or just a hassle. E.g.:
  • Typing in the length of an object. (Dimensions can be typed in, but only in X or Y direction, which is not so useful with angled objects.)
  • Positioning a circle/arc by center point.
  • Joining walls.
If you do anything beyond very simple drawing, I suggest you use software designed for CAD type drawing. I prefer titles which work on all of the most common OS platforms (Windows, OSX and Linux). A couple worth mentioning:
  • For 2D work, LibreCAD offers a familiar user interface. It is open source and free to use for all. Only supports Autodesk file formats, IIRC (dxf, dwg).
  • For 3D work,Fusion 360 is a nice tool. It is proprietary (AutoCAD's entry level software), but free for education, and for business startup (generating <$100000 annual revenues) and hobbyist use. Available for Win/OSX. Alas, not for Linux.
    Someone claimed they ran it on linux/WINE, but I have not tried that and have yet to see it in action.
  • For 3D work on Linux (or on any platform really, if you want to do advanced work and have some time to spare), consider FreeCAD. Again open source and free for all. A bit higher learning threshold than Fusion 360. Will export to many different storage formats.
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: tape measure tool

Post by Lupp »

ColinB wrote:Using OpenOffice Draw 4.1.6 as a lightweight CAD package. Even simple geometric shapes and lines needed for designing a wardrobe need positioning and measuring lengths and openings. Ideally, a tool that allows one to click on an edge or end of line and drag out to another point or edge with popup window showing scale dimension. Also useful if the two selected points or edges can be moved until required dimension or gap is realised.
I have explored the dimension line tool but it's just not useful.
How thoroughly did you explore the tools?

Well, Draw isn't a CAD package (not even lightweight) but if I have a simple 2D task, and want to avoid to search for / buy / ... CAD software and to install it, I can use Draw as a kind of surrogate - and I actually do. Drawing a line from one specific point to another point, both defined either by the grid or by already drawn objects (and also using dedicated snap guides) is supported, and only requires smart use of the snap and the grid options. In the same way dimensionlines are drawn, and if grouped with the respective objects they allow for much of what you want. (Fortunately there is no automatic grouping.)

You may need to change the grid/snap options now and then during ongoing work.

I attach a simple example.
Attachments
demoDimensionLine_1.odg
(13.25 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
ColinB

Re: Tape measure tool

Post by ColinB »

Thanks Guys. Installed LibreCAD which offers the features i was looking for.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 64bit