[Solved] Justified Text Not Formatting Right

Discuss the word processor
LostNeverland4

[Solved] Justified Text Not Formatting Right

Post by LostNeverland4 »

I am trying to format a document for my book. I previously formatted my stories on a MacBook but recently got a new computer. I have my files but the text is not fitting the space of the text body the way it should. On some pages, the text body fits the space inside the gray box, but on other pages, they will automatically move a paragraph to the next page if it won't fit while indented inside the gray outline of the text body. I don't know what's going on now. I didn't have this issue previously.
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Justified Text Not Correct

Post by robleyd »

One possible cause is that your new computer doesn't have the font(s) that you used on the former computer - you can install the Testfonts extension to check this.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
LostNeverland4

Post by LostNeverland4 »

I have installed it (I believe so, anyway) and I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I'm trying to figure it out but I'm failing miserably.
LostNeverland4

Post by LostNeverland4 »

The font I use for this document is Times New Roman. Some pages have the justified text come down to the bottom of the page where that gray outline is, while other pages had about an inch or so of empty space between text and that gray outline (even though the chapter doesn't end on that page). It should come all the way down to that gray outline if the chapter is continuing until the next page and so forth. I'm just very confused at the moment.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Check that you have enabled the Testfont toolbar - View | Toolbars |Test of missing fonts. You should then see an additional toolbar with one icon on it:
testfonts.png
testfonts.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
Then simply click on the icon to see the state of your fonts.
testfonts1.png
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LostNeverland4

Re: Justified Text Not Formatting Right

Post by LostNeverland4 »

Thanks. I checked and Times New Roman didn't come up as a missing font. I'm still seeing the text body formatting issue though. It only seems to do it once I indent the paragraph. If the paragraph doesn't fit within the space before the gray outline, it moves the WHOLE paragraph to the next page for some odd reason, but it only does this to half the pages. The other pages formatted just fine.
LostNeverland4

Post by LostNeverland4 »

As you see here, the chapter continues to the next page but the text body doesn't go to the gray line like it's supposed to. It leaves this empty space.
Attachments
2019-01-19 (1).png
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

OK - can you upload a sample file that exhibits this behaviour? It is next to impossible to tell what formatting your document has from looking at a screen capture.

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LostNeverland4

Post by LostNeverland4 »

I hope this helps.
Attachments
SAMPLE.odt
The spacing between text and the gray line changes from page to page.
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Orphan and widow control for the paragraphs has been turned on and set to two lines. That means you can't have only one line of a paragraph at the bottom of a page or at the top of a page. Since there's only room for one line at the bottom of the first page in the screen shot, the line has been moved to the top of the next page leaving the space at the bottom of the first page. To eliminate the space, you have to turn off orphan and widow control.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LostNeverland4

Post by LostNeverland4 »

OMG thank you so much! It fixed it!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Also you might consider learning about, and using, styles to format your document, rather than directly formatting each paragraph. More information or see also Writer for students (several languages)
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15