OpenOffice keep crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bgruhl

OpenOffice keep crashing

Post by bgruhl »

Help Please, My system is Windows 10. Office crashes every time I use it. And now it is telling me I need Java to do a search in a Doc. or in Help.
It does not matter if I use word docs or spreadsheets. It will crash multilable times a day and I have I reopen it and check to see what was saved and what wasn't. I have started saving after each entry. Help Please
Open Office 4.1.4 / Window 10
RoryOF

Re: Open Office keep crashing

Post by RoryOF »

There have been reports of a Windows 10 update some months ago that made OpenOffice unstable. The responsible Windows update was replaced several(?) tines, with effects on OO's stability, but a more recent update has reportedly stabilised matters. I suggest you tell Windows 10 to do a full update, restart it when finished, and see how matters are then.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

Mine keeps crashing too. I have updated Windows 10 and it is still happening. Need help as Open office has crashed everytime I open any of my documents as soon as I use the find box. I need to get this sorted as it is end of year spreadsheets and I cannot access them. Never had any problems before. I have reinstalled but still the same. What can I do?
Open office 4.1.6. on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Use the method suggested in the post preceding yours in this thread.
Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

I have updated everything and Open Office still crashing. Affecting my business dreadfullly as I cannot work. Can anyone help?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start Windows in Safe Mode, then run OpenOffice. If OO runs OK while Windows is in Safe Mode, then the problem is likely to be caused by some other program on your computer.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bgruhl

Post by bgruhl »

Did the complete windows update, downloaded 4.6 and it is still crashing. 4 times this morning so far.
And when I search the help index it tells me I need JRE. ?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice is a 32 bit application, so you need to download and install a 32 bit Java. Start Windows in Safe Mode and run OpenOffice when Windows is in that mode. If OO runs Ok in Windows Safe Mode, the problem comes from some other program or driver that runs in Windows Normal mode.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

bgruhl wrote: ... downloaded 4.6 and it is still crashing.
Reinstalling does nothing to the profile.

Reset the profile as described above.

Do a little maths. AOO has been downloaded by some 200,000,000 people. You say it does not work for you.

Do you think the problem lies with the AOO software the other 199,999,999 people find is OK?

Or do you think that, just possibly, the problem might lie with your understanding (or lack of understanding), your installation, your unique PC configuration and/or your way of working?

Note the preponderance of you and your in the above.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bgruhl

Re: OpenOffice keep crashing

Post by bgruhl »

Why do you act like I am the only 1 having problems? This has been addressed before and it was closed. I installed it as it instructed following the install prompts. I have been using computers since Dos. Also took it in college, I know how to install a program. I can not help that since the windows update a while back decided not to work with this. No need to be so rude.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are one of a relatively few people having problems, relative to the 200,000,000+ users of OpenOffice; the problem may be to do with your computer installation or your method of working on the computer
If you have the computer experience you claim (and I don't doubt it), you should be aware that most computer problems are user related. If you are not prepared to accept that this might (Note: "might", not "is") be the case, I doubt that anyone can help you.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

What happened after you reset the profile?

Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

RoryOF wrote:Start Windows in Safe Mode, then run OpenOffice. If OO runs OK while Windows is in Safe Mode, then the problem is likely to be caused by some other program on your computer.
Started windows in safe mode OO still faulty. Then reset my laptop, reloaded all the programs and OO still faulty.
I am going to have to give up and use another program - two days work lost...

Apparently several other users I know have been experiencing intermittant crashing as well so I do think this an OO fault.

Gutted that I cant get online support. Thank you to the forum members for trying to help.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Fiona Murphy wrote:Started windows in safe mode OO still faulty. Then reset my laptop, reloaded all the programs and OO still faulty.
Please read the thread. Re-installing does not do anything to the profile.

Try resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

bgruhl wrote:Why do you act like I am the only 1 having problems?
I am not.

But you are not reading the thread nor trying out the suggestions.

What happened when you reset the profile as suggested?

Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

John_Ha wrote:
Fiona Murphy wrote:Started windows in safe mode OO still faulty. Then reset my laptop, reloaded all the programs and OO still faulty.
Please read the thread. Re-installing does not do anything to the profile.

Try resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.
Unfortunately the procedure is not relevent to Windows 10 . Why is it happening on other computer? Could dropbox be at fault?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Fiona Murphy wrote:Unfortunately the procedure is not relevent to Windows 10 .
Does that mean that you reset the user profile and it didn't help? There is a user profile in all operating systems.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Fiona Murphy wrote:Unfortunately the procedure is not relevent to Windows 10
That is completely wrong.

Resetting the User profile is relevant to all operating systems. Follow the instructions in the link - it's located at C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user in W7, W8 and W10.

Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

John_Ha wrote:

Resetting the User profile is relevant to all operating systems. Follow the instructions in the link - it's located at C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user in W7, W8 and W10.
Ok, I have gone into C:\Users and there is my profile and a public profile. There is not a listing for Appdata on either. The folders in my profile are:- Contacts, Desktop,Documents, downloads, favourites, links, music , onedrive, pictures, saved games, searches and videos. I havealsp searched for APpdata and nothing comes up. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.........
Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

Bill wrote:
Does that mean that you reset the user profile and it didn't help? There is a user profile in all operating systems.
Sorry I am trying to reset it but not quite sure of the procedure as so far all the ways I have tried are not successful.

The problem I have in Open Office is only on Spreadsheets not on Text documents. Whenever I use FIND on any spreadsheet is crashes all my documents.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Fiona Murphy wrote:
Bill wrote:
Sorry I am trying to reset it but not quite sure of the procedure as so far all the ways I have tried are not successful.
This is how I always did it in Windows 10:

Shut down OpenOffice. Open File Explorer. Paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press "Enter". Rename the "user" folder to "user.old". Restart OpenOffice. If the reset was successful, you will be asked to enter user data.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Fiona Murphy wrote:
John_Ha wrote:

Ok, I have gone into C:\Users and there is my profile and a public profile. There is not a listing for Appdata on either. The folders in my profile are:- Contacts, Desktop,Documents, downloads, favourites, links, music , onedrive, pictures, saved games, searches and videos. I havealsp searched for APpdata and nothing comes up. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.........
Fiona
You have to expand the path beginning with your username. Mine is C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user. You are not following the path correctly. With Windows Explorer open click on View at the top and make sure that Filename extensions and Hidden items are checked.
Attachments
Annotation 2019-01-19 130628.jpg
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

They may be hidden files on your PC.
Clipboard03.gif

Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

You have to expand the path beginning with your username. Mine is C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user. You are not following the path correctly. With Windows Explorer open click on View at the top and make sure that Filename extensions and Hidden items are checked.
Great I have now found it. Can you talk me through a reset please!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Fiona Murphy wrote:Great I have now found it. Can you talk me through a reset please!
See the link in my first post above.

Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

Reset the profile, still crashing every time . Going to have to find another program.... Thanks anyway
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@Fiona Murphy
After doing a fairly exhaustive search, it appears that the problem you are having (crashing using the Find/Search bar) is limited to those running Windows 10.
There was a Windows 10 update that caused problems with OpenOffice, but a later update, to my understanding, has fixed that problem.
Is your copy of Windows 10 completely up to date? If not, please update it so that all updates have been successfully installed.

If your version is already up-to-date or if you continue having problems with OpenOffice or if you want to try an alternative, I'd like to suggest LibreOffice
It is completely compatible with OpenOffice, thus your current files can be used in LibreOffice without any changes.
LibreOffice does have some features that OpenOffice doesn't, such as the ability to save to later (*.???x) formats and is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Fiona Murphy

Post by Fiona Murphy »

RusselB wrote:@Fiona Murphy
After doing a fairly exhaustive search, it appears that the problem you are having (crashing using the Find/Search bar) is limited to those running Windows 10.
There was a Windows 10 update that caused problems with OpenOffice, but a later update, to my understanding, has fixed that problem.
Is your copy of Windows 10 completely up to date? If not, please update it so that all updates have been successfully installed.

If your version is already up-to-date or if you continue having problems with OpenOffice or if you want to try an alternative, I'd like to suggest LibreOffice
It is completely compatible with OpenOffice, thus your current files can be used in LibreOffice without any changes.
LibreOffice does have some features that OpenOffice doesn't, such as the ability to save to later (*.???x) formats and is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.
Hi Russel The laptop is less than a month old and it does not have the update that is listed as the fault. I did a search on update history and it was not there. I also was able to use all my files until this week. I have been using OO for over 10 years so sad that I cant get this sorted. Thank you for the heads up on Libre, I was looking at Google docs. F
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The biggest problem, for me, with Google Docs is the fact that you have to be online to use it. If you have a file that you want to edit, you have to either save it to a Google account or upload it to Google, then save the edited version, and then download the edited version to your computer.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.