Buh Bye

Talk about anything at all....
CrackedVessel

Buh Bye

Post by CrackedVessel »

I just stopped by to say I am done with OpenOffice for good.

All I need any word processing program for is to print price tags for my business. I don't want to pay the extortion of ms word, and I was happy with OpenOffice for years, but something has happened.

I'm not writing to have people talk me through processes and tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I know already that I am not doing ANYTHING wrong.I've done this before. But OpenOffice either quits on its own or hangs up for so long that I have no choice but to force quit it every single time. I already dealt with the user file. I even reinstalled the whole program - twice. I'm not doing it anymore. I should not have to jump through hoops to get it to work. it should just... work.

I know it's open source and it's not nice to criticize people who are only trying to help, I suppose. But I just wonder what happened. Open Office used to be great. Now I waste hours and hours every time i try to use it, which is only about once every two weeks, but when I need my price tags, I need them. I hate to pay MS Word their stupid monthly fee for the one little thing I need. But I don't see an alternative. I'm looking, though, believe me.
MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14, OpenOffice 4.1.5
robleyd

Re: Buh Bye

Post by robleyd »

You could of course try LibreOffice (free) or NeoOffice (not free but not expensive); you can use your existing documents with either. Doubtless a web search will turn up other possibilities.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...and you can try the Collabora Office and the Collabora Online office suites.
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/solutio ... ra-office/
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/collabora-online/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Maybe a Windows update (some troubles with the recent ones).
Or a security application if you've change it.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Depending on layout, volume and how you enter info on your tags, a number of options may be viable. As you stated, a full office suite may be a little more than required for your task. If you are interested, I can try to find something better to use. In that case, I need to know what you need...
  • Are your price tags stickers to attach on each item, or posters for shelves and other exhibit solutions?
  • Do you enter price, discount, coupon codes etc. on each tag manually before printing, or do you run mailmerge-type procedures to fetch the info from some database?
  • Are the tags predefined and always with identical layout, or periodically redesigned (by you or some franchise administration)?
  • Do you receive the price tags as ready-to-print files (images)?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You do need to do a little maths. AOO has been downloaded by some 200,000,000 people. You say it does not work for you.

Do you think the problem lies with the AOO software the other 199,999,999 people find is OK?

Or do you think that, just possibly, the problem might lie with your understanding (or lack of understanding), your installation, your unique PC configuration and/or your way of working?

You will notice each of those has your in it. Something is different about you or your PC which is causing you the problems.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Just saw this post and couldn't help but jump in with my thought. I have been using LibreOffice (LO) since it first came out; prior to that, I used OpenOffice (OO): regretted neither one; however, I have found LO be more robust - keeping in mind nothing is perfect - even high-priced subscription applications.

I encourage you to try LO; if that does not meet your needs, you can always make M$ richer.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.