[SOLVED] Constant Crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
posaune

[SOLVED] Constant Crashing

Post by posaune »

This started maybe two days ago--Open Office is constantly crashing documents on me. One of them was nearly 500 pages so I split it into two documents and that seemed to solve the problem for that document.

Now it's doing it on another one that is only 90 pages. It seems to happen when I try to paste or when I try to work in a table.

Any idea what's going on or solutions?

Thank you.
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Constant Crashing

Post by RoryOF »

This is most probably the Aug 15th Microsoft Update. Uninstall update KB4343909

Once KB4343909 is uninstalled, it should revert to July 11, 2018 update KB4338819; however, I understand that Win 10 keeps pushing the KB4343909 update, so you may have to monitor for it and uninstall regularly untll the problem with it is fixed.

Keep monitoring this forum - some Windows user will probably let us know when it is fixed (I don't use Windows).
 Edit: A link in this post
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94690&p=452095#p452095
offers a method to prevent KB4343909 reinstalling. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
posaune

Post by posaune »

So far, since uninstalling, the document hasn't crashed. (although I haven't had much time on it.) I am cautiously optimistic.
posaune

Post by posaune »

It's working great today. Thank you for your help!
Mizzy22

Re: [SOLVED] Constant Crashing

Post by Mizzy22 »

I had Windows 10 installed in early July. Apache Open Office 4 has been A CHALLENGE TO SAY THE LEAST. It crashes ALL THE TIME. I am so frustrated. i've only used the document portion. HELP!!!!!
Jill M. Gault Apache Open Office 4 with Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Have you tried the solution proposed in RoryOF's post above?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
dayrelton

Post by dayrelton »

I have three things that happen - all with .ods
1 - spreadsheet freezes - reboot to clear
2 - "Bad Allocation" message, then AOO disappears when you hit OK
3 - Flat out disappearance

In all cases, recovery is successful
I have been saving frequently so as not to lose much work on recovery

I will NOT rollback Win10 as there have been 5 other updates since the offending one.
I will await a solution and keep doing frequent saves.
[has not happened to me with *.odt files]
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The timed/dated backup extension may be of use to you. You can download it from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
 Edit: Remember that Ctrl S is a quick way to Save (the normal Save) 
SmokyBadger

Post by SmokyBadger »

I am having the same issue.

I checked my updates and update KB4343909 is not listed. I have KB4343669, KB4338853 & KB4456655 are the closest numbering to it.
I have a second system that does not have that KB4343909 installed either. I have used the same files on that system and it does not have any problems with them.

I hope a solution will be found soon, this is a big problem.
Last edited by SmokyBadger on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The problem is solved for the OP. You have a similar problem which will have a different solution and should be posted in your own thread, not one that has been solved for someone else.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
TreeTree

Post by TreeTree »

Can't locate Windows update KB4343909 to uninstall.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home vers. 1803
SmokyBadger

Post by SmokyBadger »

Bill wrote:The problem is solved for the OP. You have a similar problem which will have a different solution and should be posted in your own thread, not one that has been solved for someone else.
I did start my own thread and it was suggested to come here.
Understood It's solved for the OP and it's frustrating not to have a solution.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You weren't actually told to come here. You were told that others had solved the problem by rolling back a Windows update and given a link to this thread so you could read about how they solved their problem. You were also told that your problem was probably different. If you're still having a problem, then you should continue the discussion in your thread because the problem is different.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
SmokyBadger

Post by SmokyBadger »

Bill wrote:You weren't actually told to come here. You were told that others had solved the problem by rolling back a Windows update and given a link to this thread so you could read about how they solved their problem. You were also told that your problem was probably different. If you're still having a problem, then you should continue the discussion in your thread because the problem is different.
I said "suggested" I did not say I was told to come here.
I know what RusselB & RoryOF said and I was not told that my problem was different. It was suggested that a Win 10 update might be the culprit.
Yes, the problem still exists. That is evident in the posts in the thread I started and no solution at this time.

Thanks Bill for the input.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win 10
benlev@aol.com

Re: [SOLVED] Constant Crashing on Accept or Reject Changes

Post by benlev@aol.com »

Open Office has been pretty miserable lately. And I understand it probably has to do more with Windows than anything else. I wouldn't doubt they added logic to give OO to crash.

My specific headache is using Accept/Reject changes. When you get to a "comment" and "reject" or "accept" the comment OO crashes. It also randomly crashes at other points after accepting a comment as it is scanning to go to the next change. Any ideas?

The work around is to manually select each change and 'accept' or 'reject'. it's a pain but it avoids the crashing.
ben levitan / mobile phone forensics / openoffice 4.1.5 on windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

SmokyBadger wrote: I know what RusselB & RoryOF said and I was not told that my problem was different. It was suggested that a Win 10 update might be the culprit.
Yes, the problem still exists. That is evident in the posts in the thread I started and no solution at this time.
It is not my task to try to read Windows' mind, nor to identify the cause of a problem on a computer and operating system to which I have no access. All I can do is point a user with a problem towards a possible solution for the problem - I may be right, I may be wrong, not yet having become infallible.

Note that I use a different operating system for reasons of stability; one may also notice that many Forum volunteers have also moved to different operating systems than Windows.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

benlev@aol.com wrote:My specific headache is using Accept/Reject changes. When you get to a "comment" and "reject" or "accept" the comment OO crashes. It also randomly crashes at other points after accepting a comment as it is scanning to go to the next change. Any ideas?
That sounds like a corrupted file.

1. Is the file a .odt file? Or is it a .doc or .docx file?

2. Have the changes been inserted by someone using MS Word? See Item 10. Exchanging documents for proof reading between AOO and MS Word in [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
dayrelton

Post by dayrelton »

Blaming Windows is not a solution.
Someone at AOO must take a failing calc file and find out exactly what is going on.
My recent crash is simple and always repeats
I select a cell on a sheet which currently has a cell with a single reference to a cell on another sheet
In the function bar, I enter a "+" at the end of the string to add another cell reference
The cell to be referenced is on the same sheet as the current value
After adding the "+" I select the other sheet on the sheet bar
I immediately get the error "OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Fatal Error bad allocation"

Dell Inspiron I7-7779 Laptop
Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Last Install - 01/09/2019 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB84480966)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To help diagnose your problem, if you are using Windows, start your Windows in Safe Mode and run OpenOffice when Windows is in that mode. If OpenOffice runs stable in that mode the problem relates to your Windows installation.
benlev@aol.com

Post by benlev@aol.com »

>>>
That sounds like a corrupted file.
>>

That seems to be standard answer for OO problems! How do you fix a corrupt file?
It was saved on .odt and was done on a Windows 10 machine. It has not been opened in Microsoft Word.
Thank you for the help, because I have a number of 'flaky" documents that I don't trust to not crash. If I knew how to repair them, that would help. I try resaving them but that doesn't seem to do much except give me another back up.
dayrelton

Post by dayrelton »

Okay, I tried to insert sheets from the "bad" file into a new ods file,
Problem - can only transfer one at a time, so sheet to sheet references are not carried over.
Any way to insert all sheets at once in hope of references transferring correctly?

Hoping this will fix the "bad allocation" error which seems to only occur when referencing another sheet to add a value to a value already referenced in the same sheet
As in - sheet1 has cell A1 with a value referenced in sheet2 sucjh as B1, error occurs when trying to add "+" sheet2 cell C1 to sheet1 cell A1.
Typing the plus sign goes okay, but as soon as I click on sheet2 I get the error.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

dayrelton wrote:Problem - can only transfer one at a time, so sheet to sheet references are not carried over.
You get #REF! errors or what?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
benlev@aol.com

Post by benlev@aol.com »

Why are these marked as [SOLVED} when they haven't been solved. No solution provided here.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The original poster marked his/her question as Solved; others have since 'hijacked' the thread with semi-related problems.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
benlev@aol.com

Post by benlev@aol.com »

Thanks! Now I get it. I was one of the hijackers. It's unclear how to start a new thread. I'll figure it out.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

benlev@aol.com wrote:Thanks! Now I get it. I was one of the hijackers. It's unclear how to start a new thread. I'll figure it out.
See this post with an image to make it clearer. You may have forgotten since the last new post you made :oops:
openoffice 3.0 on windows xp
You might consider upgrading your signature - you surely aren't still using such old software! How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

dayrelton wrote:Any way to insert all sheets at once in hope of references transferring correctly?
Right-click the sheet tabs > "Select all sheets"
The menu:Edit>Sheets>Move/Copy... to new document
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Closing this topic as the original problem has been solved; please make a new post for your 'crashing' problem as there are many possible causes for 'crashes'.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15