My bottom line gets cut off in printing

Discuss the word processor
TNT2Planker

My bottom line gets cut off in printing

Post by TNT2Planker »

I have made an entry form that lines up perfectly on the workspace. It shows everything within the border and even has space left over at the bottom. When I go to print it, the bottom line is cut in half still showing a huge blank at the bottom of the page. I moved things around and got it to work but am not satisfied with the large void at the bottom. I have made changes to the entire form and am back in the same place with the bottom line.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: My bottom line gets cut off in printing

Post by RoryOF »

What size is the Page setting (/Format /Page : Page tab) and what size paper is the printer set for (/Format /Print : Properties button, Paper tab)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TNT2Planker

Post by TNT2Planker »

It is on 8.5 X 11 letter paper, set the same on Open office and same on printer. I even pulled the 1/4 inch margin on the bottom all the way down to 0
TNT2Planker

Post by TNT2Planker »

I have now even downloaded the new version 4.1.6 of Open Office and with the same paper settings on Open Office and my printer, t cuts out the entire bottom line
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This may be a printer driver problem. What make and version of printer? OpenOffice prints correctly on all my printers.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try this. It is letter size.
letter.odt
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Are you certain you are using Letter sized paper and not A4?
TNT2Planker wrote:the bottom line is cut in half still showing a huge blank at the bottom of the page.
Are you saying it looks like this, where the X should go to the bottom?
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (3.43 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
If so, that is very strange. W10 update has a habit of corrupting printer drivers so download the correct driver from the manufacturer's web site and install it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Also see Print small booklet in AOO Writer and the subsequent posts which suggest that if you send a page size to the printer, and set the paper size to smaller than the page size, and print full size, text could be truncated as you describe at the page_size_length.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I even pulled the 1/4 inch margin on the bottom
Generally, the printers cannot print at the edge of the papers. Check the Manual of your printer: what a minimal bottom margin size it can print with. The value of the Bottom margin is the largest of the available margin values of the printer capability. (Because the printer most hold the paper by the rollers while the last line will be print.) Maybe the 1/4" is too low value for your printer.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Can you please upload a file containing the page in question, before rearranging to get it to print. Hands on of the actual file is the quickest way to sort most problems in OpenOffice.
TNT2Planker

Post by TNT2Planker »

The paper is definitely 11 X 8.5 letter. The printer is a Canon MG2922. The file of x's sent to me also cut off about the 1/2 inch. I originally had a 1/4 inch on every side for a margin and I was inside of this margin on the Open office work sheet. When I go to print and hit properties to set a print preview, the preview comes up showing the page being cut off at the bottom even before I print it. I will try installing new drivers and see what happens.
TNT2Planker

Post by TNT2Planker »

Open office upload.odt
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
My original file is too big to upload o here is one I made that does the same thing.
Open office upload.odt
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You may be trying to print outside the print area of the printer. Canon recommends a margin of 1.24" on the top and 1.15" on the bottom with a non-printing area of .12" and .66" where results may not be satisfactory.

Printing Area MG2900 series

Edit: I used a screen ruler to check the position of the bottom line in the sample document. The bottom half of the bottom line is NOT in the printable area of the printer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to export your document into PDF format. Check it if the last line is missing or not in the PDF file and then try to print it with a PDF Reader software.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I confirm Bill's earlier posting about printable area on the Canon MG2922 printer. There is a limited printable area as shown on the link Bill has posted; the best solution is to reduce the layout slightly to fit within that area.
TNT2Planker

Post by TNT2Planker »

Yes, it seems as if the Canon printer is the culprit!! After being on a Canon Forum and seeing several reports with several Canon printers, it seems to be impossible to fill a page to print with less than 3/4 inch of blank space. So even if I make it all fit on Open Office, the final product will still have a useless 3/4 inch of nothing! I will finish this document by printing as I have it (the entire bottom line cut off) and then also print a page with that bottom line ONLY and seam them together for final copy! Thank you all for your help and concern with my problem. A new printer might be in the near future!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Can you lie to the printer about the paper size? Tape some paper to the bottom of the sheet of paper and tell the printer the paper is 1" longer. Be very careful the tape does not come off inside the printer.

It may be a paper handling problem where the last (first?) inch cannot be pressed into contact with the print roller/jet/ink or whatever.

Is it better if you take a screenshot and print the image upside down?

Can you get a friend to print it for you?

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The other course is to set the appropriate large top and bottom margins on your default template. That won't allow you put text in an unprintable area.