[Solved] Cell display of function results

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rtaylor@ntin.net

[Solved] Cell display of function results

Post by rtaylor@ntin.net »

I enter a formula for a cell, eg.= B3*C3, the reults displayed are ### . If i look in the the function wizard I see the correct result, but cannot get Calc to display the numerical answer. Thanks
Last edited by rtaylor@ntin.net on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
openoffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: cell display of function results

Post by robleyd »

That simply means the column is not wide enough to display the contents. Right click on the column header and use one of the Column width options to adjust the width; or simply drag the right border of the column header to increase the width.

If you are new to spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
rtaylor@ntin.net

Post by rtaylor@ntin.net »

thanks for quick reply. I did read the 10 must subjects and found that notation about width, but the result is only five digits long, but I extended the width of the column anyway and still get either the formula displayed or the triple ###.
openoffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

It sounds like the option to display formulas is active. Go to the menu Tools -> Options and expand the Calc list on the left. Click View and remove the selection from Formulas in the Display section.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It seems that Calc is configured to display the actual formulae, not results of formulae, on your computer. Go to Tools | Options | OpenOffice Calc | View; under Display make sure that the Formulae checkbox is NOT checked.
 Edit: Whilst you are in the Tools | Options it would be worth your while to have a look at all the various things you can configure from there. 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers