Calc keeps crashing, lots of lost work

Discuss the spreadsheet application
willsanderson1

Calc keeps crashing, lots of lost work

Post by willsanderson1 »

Hi.
I've reinstalled OO recently to get rid of a crashing problem. I updated JRE to latest version and it keeps happening.

There doesn't seem to be anything specific that I'm doing. These are very simple spreadsheets with a couple sum formulas. The application freezes and thankfully I can usually take a screenshot and redo the work. Auto saving has been set to every minute in the hopes of mitigating lost work. No avail. Recovery doesn't work either.. "Read-Error. Unknown or unsupported Excel file."

Any help, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Will
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 version 1803
RoryOF

Re: Calc keeps crashing, lots of lost work

Post by RoryOF »

This may be a symptom of a recent (within last few months) update of Win 10. Reports were that it caused severe instability of OpenOffice; removal of that update cured the problem, but it automatically reinstalled on later updates. However, more recent reports are that the update responsible has been replaced with an update that does not cause OO instability.

So my advice is that you tell Win 10 to do a complete update so that it is fully updated. How long this will take I cannot say - it may be some hours and several computer restarts.
 Edit: Also, work and Save in .ods format - OO's native spreadsheet format. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
willsanderson1

Post by willsanderson1 »

Thanks so much for your replies. I had seen the part about saving in .ODS format and have changed my behavior. Seems to make a difference.

I'll try the profile reest too.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 version 1803
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I would try a full Windows 10 update as well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS