Grid Lines

Discuss the drawing application
BettySzy

Grid Lines

Post by BettySzy »

Hello! Just downloaded the program. In Draw am I able to insert grid lines to assist with placement of text/pics/photos etc? TIA
Open Office 4.1.6 (latest edition I think) on A MacBook Air with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 currently.
FJCC

Re: Grid Lines

Post by FJCC »

The menu item View -> Grid -> Display Grid will show the grid. The size of the grid can be adjusted under something like OpenOffice -> Preferences -> Draw -> Grid. I am not sure of the path to that on a Mac.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

On the Mac version you find the Preferences dialog on the application (OpenOffice) menu, not under Tools - Options.
Grid display is easily missed if you don't know how it should look: The grid display will be faint dots only, not full lines.
You can enable "snap to grid" to facilitate precise placement.
You can drag vertical and horizontal helper lines (snap lines) from the rulers.
After inserting elements, you can select them and use Alignment or Distriution from the Modify menu to adjust placement.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

There are additionl options concerning the Snap feature.

I mostly prefer a visible grid with 1 cm main period and with 4 subdivisions per period.
Snap to grid enabled.
All the additional snap options also enabled.

If I want to define the snapping specifically, I switch off the 'Snap to grid'. The context menu of the drawing area offers an option to define special Snap Line(s) more clearly visible than the one-pixel-grid, but not printable.

Also see attached example. (It was made with AOO V 4.1.5 under Win.)
Attachments
aoo96581PositioningInDrawBySnapTo_1.odg
(59.31 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You will find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Also try Help - it is often better than the Guides. Search with grid.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.