.ods spreadsheet gets bold on network sharing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
RW9275

.ods spreadsheet gets bold on network sharing

Post by RW9275 »

I am trying to share an OpenOffice spreadsheet on the network. The lines and fonts are much bolder than on my PC. I have tried adjusting the lines and fonts on the shared laptop, but can't get it right. My Excel spreadsheets share correctly. Any idea how this can be corrected?
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: .ods spreadsheet gets bold on network sharing

Post by John_Ha »

If the screen resolutions are different, thin lines may display different thicknesses due to different pixel sizes.

The text difference sounds like a missing fonts problem. This is written for Writer but applies to Calc.

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

Thanks for the reply. The fonts being used are Arial, which are installed on both units. The Excel spreadsheet displays fine. Both spreadsheets use the Arial font. I don't have access to the shared unit at this time. If you still need screenshots, I will get them posted.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If you still need screenshots, I will get them posted.
Screen shots and other pictures are less informative, than the spreasheet files. We can not examine the used styles and many other properties based on a picture.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

Thanks Zizi, but I'm not comfortable with sending files. I will try to figure this out.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If the file has confidential material in it, you can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every alphabetic character to an " x " with

Edit > Find and Replace
Tick Regular expressions (under More ...)
Find box [:alpha:]
Replace box x
click Replace all

Or just upload a test spreadsheet with a few rows showing the problem.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

Ok Zizi, here it is.
Attachments
.ods File.ods
The .ods file intact.
(22.18 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tried the file on my computer on a local drive, then on a network drive. Results were identical (and not bold) on both sources.

The file does not change between your computers - what you are seeing is a display problem, caused by some difference in the displays on the computers. We can do nothing to help you - you have to sort this out. As John_Ha says, it is most probably a substituted font - remember that the font indicated in the OpenOffice Format toolbar is not the font being actually used, but the font being requested. If that font is not available n the computer, a font is silently substituted.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The font property of the cells are "Arial".
But the font property of the Drawing objects are "Arial narrow". I have not such font in my Windows 7 x64. It will be substituted on places where that font is not present.

What objects has that "bold" problem on the target place?
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

The original file was all Arial. I was messing around with the fonts to try and make them less bold. You can change all the cells back to Arial. Remember, this all looks fine on my PC. The problem is in sharing to my laptop. My Excel shares perfectly.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You can change all the cells back to Arial.
Not the cells are Arial narrow, but the Drawing objects are. The Sheet "On Computer" was protected without password. I switched off the protection, and then examined the Drawing objects too "in the" column "Mon" with strings: "F", "Carbs", "pp". Those object have "Arial narrow" font property in your attached version.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

I had changed everything to Narrow Arial fonts trying to get things the way I wanted. I forgot to change the items you mentioned back to Arial before I sent the file to you.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Edit > Select all. The font box will go empty because you have multiple fonts

2. Select a font you know is on both PCs - eg Arial.

Does it now do it? See attached file.

nb. There is a font specified as Ariall (with 2 x "l").
Attachments
ods File_all Arial.ods
(22.87 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

I see what you mean. I won't have access to the laptop until sometime tomorrow. I will get back to you.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
RW9275

Post by RW9275 »

Hi Guys,
Well, I went into the OpenOffice program and changed ALL the fonts to Arial. I have the same problem. It does appear to be a display problem, but I don't understand why the Excel file shares correctly. The Excel file is the original one converted to the OpenOffice format. The files are identical using ALL Arial fonts. I will continue working on this, and when I find the answer I will report back. I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home 64Bit