[Solved] Can't use more than 31 characters when naming a doc

Discuss the word processor
Adjev

[Solved] Can't use more than 31 characters when naming a doc

Post by Adjev »

Hi!

Im trying to name a document, but there seems to be a limit at 31 characters. Is there a way to use more characters than this?
Last edited by Adjev on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6. Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Re: Cant use more than 31 characters when namng document

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What operating system?
Under Windows, there was a 260 characters limit (path included) but it has been changed to +32,000 with a late build of Windows 10.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Adjev

Post by Adjev »

Thank you :)

Im using Windows 10. Andnits only with openoffice that i cant enter more than 31 character in the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Explain exactly in detail how you are doing it.

If you are trying to rename fred.odt to the cat sat on the mat.odt then you can use more than 32 characters in Windows.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Adjev

Post by Adjev »

John_Ha wrote:If you are trying to rename fred.odt to the cat sat on the mat.odt then you can use more than 32 characters in Windows.
Yes, this is exctly what im trying to do. That is, im just trying to renare an existing .odt file with a name that is above 31 characters. But when im trying to type letter nr 32 there is just a ”ding”-sound for each keyboardpress and nothing else is entered.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Stop worrying - just abbreviate the name by leaving out the articles and spaces - use CamelCase.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

How are you doing it?

Please describe in detail exactly what you are doing.

Give us something like "fred.odt is on the desktop. I right click fred.odt and choose Rename. The name is highlighted and I type in a new name. When I get to 31 characters each new character I type ..." or "With AOO open and editing tom.odt I go File > Save. When the window opens I highlight fred.odt and right click it ..." or ... what?????

Without further information there are too many variables.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I recall the old Apple HFS filesystem having a limit around 30-32 characters. Dont know of any others in that range (otherwise, I believe all filesystems supporting more than 8.3 allow 255 or more).

Do you have your files stored on an old Apple fileserver?
Adjev

Post by Adjev »

Ok, the probem seems to be related to me having stored the file on Google Drive and tryeing to rename the file in the google drive folder on my comuter. Dont know why there is a problem here with open office specifically. Cant open the openoffice files in the google drive folder on my computer either. I have to first open OO and then open the files from within OO. But ill probably start another thread about this new issue.

Thanks everyone for your help!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Adjev wrote: ill probably start another thread about this new issue.
If you do, please describe exactly what you are doing as saying it does not work tells us nothing. How were we expected to know you were using Google Drive when you did not tell us? Do you think we are mind readers?

See Survival Guide for the forum and read Tips for a better description of the problem

Adjev

Post by Adjev »

John_Ha wrote:
If you do, please describe exactly what you are doing as saying it does not work tells us nothing. How were we expected to know you were using Google Drive when you did not tell us? Do you think we are mind readers?]
Ill do that.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

John_Ha wrote:
If you do, please describe exactly what you are doing as saying it does not work tells us nothing. How were we expected to know you were using Google Drive when you did not tell us? Do you think we are mind readers?

See Survival Guide for the forum and read Tips for a better description of the problem
Personally this sounds like a Google drive problem, not an OpenOffice problem, thus a new topic for the discovered problem, imo, should go to a Google help forum, not on these forums.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.