OpenOffice crashing multiple times a day

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
l j l

OpenOffice crashing multiple times a day

Post by l j l »

For months I have been having a problem with OpenOffice crashing. It generally does not happen when I am editing a document, but I keep multiple documents open and edit them regularly throughout the day (saving them each time I make an update). After they have been sitting for a while and I click to maximize one of them it does nothing (no maximizing). The icon in the task bar at the bottom of my screen shows that the documents are, indeed, open, but selecting them does nothing. If I were to try to open a new document or an existing document that is not currently open it does nothing at all. The large majority of documents I keep open are Calc and they are saved in ods format (I may have anywhere between three and five or six documents open at a time).

When I bring up Task Manager it will show Open Office running, but many times shows it is not responding (sometimes it does not indicate it is not responding, but in either case it is not responding). When I end the task, I can then start OpenOffice again, but first it will go through the recovery of all documents that were open and always recovers them properly.

I am running OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home Version 1803.

A while ago (a few months maybe) I had read that there was a Windows Update that caused this type of problem. I removed that update from my machine, but continued to have the same problem. This is extremely annoying and as much as I hate to do it, if I can't solved this problem I may go back to using Microsoft Office.

Suggestions? ? ?
Apache Open Office 4.1.5, Windows 10 Home Version 1803
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice crashing multiple times a day

Post by RoryOF »

When you open TaskManager after an OO freeze, what does it show about Memory? The symptoms you report may indicate a memory leak.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Suggestions? ? ?
Try the LibreOffice (at least a portable version of it).The development of the LO is more intensive, maybe some compatibility issues are fixed in the LO...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
l j l

Post by l j l »

RoryOF wrote:When you open TaskManager after an OO freeze, what does it show about Memory? The symptoms you report may indicate a memory leak.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I never thought to look at the memory. I know that the CPU usually says 0%, but sometimes does show some CPU usage. Actually, sometimes it shows in the area of 25% which I never understood since the program doesn't seem to be doing anything. I will get back to you after the next crash with the memory stats... shouldn't be too long!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The 25% CPU usually means it is occupying one core. Sometimes on very large files I have seen this use continue indefinitely, but they are large files (millions of characters, thousands of pages).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please differentiate between a hang, when Writer stops responding but is still there; and a crash, when Writer completely disappears.

When it next happens open TaskManager and see if you have more than one version of soffice.bin and/or more than one version of soffice.exe. If so, that is the reason. Kill them.
TaskManager when Writer alone is running.
TaskManager when Writer alone is running.
It seems to be "user induced" and possibly? probably? caused by over rapidly saving and re-opening a file or something similar. Search the Writer forum with soffice.bin See Issue 114963 - multiple instances of soffice.exe.

I posted this in [Issue] OOo hangs with multiple soffice.exe in Task Manager.
It happened to me again recently - the first time in many, many years.

I had gone File > Save As ..., or File > Open ..., or similar, and I had a window open with files visible. Instead of just completing the Save or Open, I started working with the files in the window. I am not sure exactly what I did - perhaps I deleted some file(s)? or renamed some file(s)? or I went New > Folder ..., and created a new folder (and renamed it?) and dragged a file(s) to the new folder? Whatever it was I did, Writer had hanged with multiple instances in TaskManager.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:The 25% CPU usually means it is occupying one core. Sometimes on very large files I have seen this use continue indefinitely, but they are large files (millions of characters, thousands of pages).
Rory

I have done a number of tests with AOO on Windows 7 on a dual CPU PC. Despite TaskManager showing that AOO is using 50% of processor, suggesting it is using just one core, I find that when I show separate graphs for each core, that both cores are being used. Furthermore the cores vary wildly in their percentage use but it always adds up to 50%.

I cannot explain it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
l j l

Post by l j l »

John_Ha wrote:Please differentiate between a hang, when Writer stops responding but is still there; and a crash, when Writer completely disappears.

When it next happens open TaskManager and see if you have more than one version of soffice.bin and/or more than one version of soffice.exe. If so, that is the reason. Kill them.
Clipboard01.gif
It seems to be "user induced" and possibly? probably? caused by over rapidly saving and re-opening a file or something similar. Search the Writer forum with soffice.bin See Issue 114963 - multiple instances of soffice.exe.

I posted this in [Issue] OOo hangs with multiple soffice.exe in Task Manager.
It happened to me again recently - the first time in many, many years.

I had gone File > Save As ..., or File > Open ..., or similar, and I had a window open with files visible. Instead of just completing the Save or Open, I started working with the files in the window. I am not sure exactly what I did - perhaps I deleted some file(s)? or renamed some file(s)? or I went New > Folder ..., and created a new folder (and renamed it?) and dragged a file(s) to the new folder? Whatever it was I did, Writer had hanged with multiple instances in TaskManager.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To me a hang is when an open application temporarily stops responding. I may just get a timer going in circles and / or it may say Not Responding on the top, but it eventually comes back. I am calling this a crash because when I click on one of the open documents in the task bar, it will not even maximize. Sometimes when I hover over it, it will show the document and sometimes it will show just a blank space, but it NEVER comes back, no matter how long I have waited.

I RARELY have a problem when I am editing a file... yes, every once in a blue moon, it will actually crash and close OO... but 99% of the time it is when I come back to edit a document that is currently open and had been saved before I minimized it that this occurs. Right now, I have 3 documents open and when I open Task Manager, it shows three instances of Open Office. Actually, it shows it once in Task Manager with "(3)" after the name.

I am still waiting for it to crash so I can get the memory info... don't you know, when you want it to crash it won't!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

l jl wrote:... when I open Task Manager, it shows three instances of Open Office.
That is probably correct but meaningless for diagnosis. Please report how many soffice.bin and soffice.exe you have. If you have two of either it has occurred.
l jl wrote:To me a hang is when an open application temporarily stops responding. I may just get a timer going in circles and / or it may say Not Responding on the top, but it eventually comes back. I am calling this a crash because when I click on one of the open documents in the task bar, it will not even maximize. Sometimes when I hover over it, it will show the document and sometimes it will show just a blank space, but it NEVER comes back, no matter how long I have waited.
No.

What you are describing is a hang where a program stops responding but still remains. Please do not confuse us by calling it a crash because it is not a crash. In a crash the icon(s) on the taskbar disappear(s) - in a hang they remain. See Hang (computing)
In computing, a hang or freeze occurs when either a computer program or system ceases to respond to inputs.

l j l

Post by l j l »

RoryOF wrote:When you open TaskManager after an OO freeze, what does it show about Memory? The symptoms you report may indicate a memory leak.
Just crashed again. I'm not sure how to put an image in the post. When I click on the Img link above, it just puts the tags there, but does not let me select an image. I tried to copy and paste and that just opens the image in another tab. So, I just give you the stats...

Name: OpenOffice 4.1.5 (32 bit) (3)
(there are / were three calc docs open)
CPU: 0%
Memory: 13.1 MB
Disk: 0 MB/s
Network: 0 Mbps
GPU: 0%

I'm running a 64 bit OS, so I'm not sure why I have the 32 bit OpenOffice, unless there is not a 64 bit version. Might that make any difference?

I hope this gives you some more meaningful information.

Regards,
ljl
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm running a 64 bit OS, so I'm not sure why I have the 32 bit OpenOffice, unless there is not a 64 bit version. Might that make any difference?
The LibreOffice has 32 and 64 bit versions too (since the 5.x.x version), but I am using the 32 bit version without any problem on Win7 x64 Prof. and Win10 x64 Prof. But you need install a 32 bit JRE for some feature of the 32 bit applications on the 64 bit op. sys.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

OpenOffice for Windows is only available as a 32 bit program regardless of whether you have a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

l j l wrote:Just crashed again.
l j l wrote:Status: Not responding
It did not crash. It stopped responding or hanged. The reason it is important to differentiate is that there are different reasons for crashes as opposed to hangs.

If you insist on it being a crash you will never solve it as you will be given advice for crashes and not advice for hangs.

Upload the files which were open so they can be analysed.

l j l

Post by l j l »

John_Ha wrote:
l j l wrote:Just crashed again.
l j l wrote:Status: Not responding
It did not crash. It stopped responding or hanged. The reason it is important to differentiate is that there are different reasons for crashes as opposed to hangs.

If you insist on it being a crash you will never solve it as you will be given advice for crashes and not advice for hangs.

Upload the files which were open so they can be analysed.
Okay, I will defer to you and it is a hang, not a crash. Unfortunately, I cannot upload the files as they contain personal information. I will create a few bogus spreadsheets and keep only those open to see if the HANG continues to happen. If it does, I will be happy to upload the bogus files if that will help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A useful diagnostic is to start Windows in Safe mode, then run OpenOffice. If OpenOffice runs stable in that mode we have gained useful information.
l j l

Post by l j l »

RoryOF wrote:A useful diagnostic is to start Windows in Safe mode, then run OpenOffice. If OpenOffice runs stable in that mode we have gained useful information.
I will give that a try. Thanks.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If the file has confidential material in it, you can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every alphabetic character to an " x "with

Edit > Find and Replace
Tick Regular expressions (under More ...)
Find box [:alpha:]
Replace box x
click Replace all

The limit here is 128kB, or use a fileshare site like mediafire for larger files.

A second point.

What happens if you leave Calc unresponsive for a long time - say 30 minutes. Does it recover? eg see [Solved] Large file very slow to respond and CPU use is high and [Solved] AOO stops responding when opening this one document

l j l

Post by l j l »

John_Ha wrote:If the file has confidential material in it, you can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every alphabetic character to an " x "with

Edit > Find and Replace
Tick Regular expressions (under More ...)
Find box [:alpha:]
Replace box x
click Replace all

The limit here is 128kB, or use a fileshare site like mediafire for larger files.

A second point.

What happens if you leave Calc unresponsive for a long time - say 30 minutes. Does it recover? eg see [Solved] Large file very slow to respond and CPU use is high and [Solved] AOO stops responding when opening this one document
I opened three files (none of them are files that I normally keep open) and OO hung again. I got copies of the files prior to ending the task in task manager and running the recovery (not the locked file with the "~" in front of the name, but the normally named file... if the locked file is what you need, let me know and I will grab that one instead) and then copied them after the recovery was run. I was going to upload before and after files of each of the three, but unfortunately, this forum only lets me upload three files so I have attached a before and after of one file and then another after file. I'm not sure what you are looking for so I didn't know what to attach.

As for the question of does OO ever come back after it hangs... no, it has never done that and I have walked away from my computer for hours and come back and it is still hung.

I hope this gives a bit more info for analysis.

Thanks!
Attachments
before-2018-12-15-WinterhavenGigSetList-FourLakes-modified.ods
(17.67 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
after-2018-12-15-WinterhavenGigSetList-FourLakes-modified.ods
(17.67 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
after-2018-12-31-NewYearsEveSongList.ods
(26.98 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The lock file is of no importance in this case - it is a housekeeping file used to prevent multiple write accesses to a file, as might happen if one had two instances of a file open and be editing at one end, but viewing at the other. If both files were open for writing, one might get confused and write to both of them; then you wouldn't know where you were with your editing, and would lose one or other of the sets of edits.

Remember that Ctrl S is a very useful shortcut to cause a file to Save - much quicker than cursoring to /File, then down to Save. One should always do Ctrl S before leaving a computer for whatever reason, to Save the current edits.

I have had your three files open for ten minutes now - no hang, no memory leak. I doubt that the problem is file related.
 Edit: Your files were open on my computer (running Xubuntu) for 40 minutes - no crash, no memory leak. 
l j l

Post by l j l »

First of all, yes I save my work regularly, although I do use File / Save instead of Cntl S.

I understand the problems of having a file available for edit by multiple people or multiple instances. As for having the files open for less than an hour, that may not indicate anything. There is no telling how long the files / program has to be open before it hangs. Sometimes I can have them open most of the day without any problems, and then... hang.

Seeing that I got the hang with these files that I usually don't have open when OO hangs kind of told me it wasn't caused by any of the files.

Assuming (yeah, terrible word) that the problem is with OO and considering the fact that I had already uninstalled and re-installed OO, what suggestions might you have to avoid this problem?

Thanks.
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

l j l wrote:First of all, yes I save my work regularly, although I do use File / Save instead of Cntl S.

I understand the problems of having a file available for edit by multiple people or multiple instances. As for having the files open for less than an hour, that may not indicate anything. There is no telling how long the files / program has to be open before it hangs. Sometimes I can have them open most of the day without any problems, and then... hang.

Seeing that I got the hang with these files that I usually don't have open when OO hangs kind of told me it wasn't caused by any of the files.

Assuming (yeah, terrible word) that the problem is with OO and considering the fact that I had already uninstalled and re-installed OO, what suggestions might you have to avoid this problem?

Thanks.
2 suggestions:
1: reset your AOO user profile, (that is not the same thing as uninstalling and re-installing AOO)
2: try LibreOffice
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 x64
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

merlijn wrote:Seeing that I got the hang with these files that I usually don't have open when OO hangs kind of told me it wasn't caused by any of the files.
Agreed - it is probably your installation or your PC.

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile as suggested by merlijn.
 Edit: I have now had your three files opened for over an hour and I could then save each file without problems. 

l j l

Post by l j l »

I forgot to mention this, but I had read about renaming the user profile previously, and I had already tried that. It did not help. At that time, I uninstalled AOO (I THINK I was running 4.1.4) and downloaded a new installation for 4.1.5 and installed that. I'm thinking that there's got to be something on my computer that is causing the problem. I just have no idea of where to start looking.

I guess I'm going to give LibreOffice a try. I have Microsoft Office installed, but I don't use Microsoft anything unless I absolutely have to. Actually, every once in a while I receive a .doc from someone that formats poorly in AOO so I use Microsoft Office at those times. Other than that I never open it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try starting Windows in Safe mode, then running OpenOffice while Windows is in that mode. This will give us a ckue.
l j l

Post by l j l »

Okay, I tried running is Safe mode. I selected to run in Safe mode with networking, but unfortunately, for some reason my computer would not connect to my wi-fi (maybe I should have tried hard wiring it... I hadn't thought about that until now). Since I need to be connected to the internet just about all the time I am using my computer it presented a problem for me.

Anyway, I restarted it in Safe mode last night, did a little playing around and let it run in Safe mode over night (with the .ods files open) and then played a little more this morning before I really needed to connect to the internet. Usually after having my .ods files open all night I have a hang in the morning (but not always). There was NO hang this morning and not for a few more hours afterward (before I restarted in normally).

Assuming that had I continued to let it run in Safe mode and would not have had a hang, what does that indicate? I understand that in Safe mode the computer loads a limited number of drivers, but does that give any kind of clue as to where the problem lies?

Thanks for your help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Good running in Safe Mode indicates that the problem lies with the Windows installation. Some program or driver that runs in Windows Normal Mode is interfering with OpenOffice's component files, the clipboard or the OpenOffice file being edited.

Usual candidates are Antivirus, Firewall, any utility that monitors the clipboard or a utility that uses the clipboard for multiple paste functions. Skype used (may still on occasion?) cause such problems. I remember also that Carbonite's continual backup utility was reported to do so also. Usually the culprit program can be configured to ignore open OO files being edited.
MisterH

Post by MisterH »

I have been reading the comments in this thread and have experienced similar problems. However I noticed that most of the replies came from people using a different operating system than the original poster. I have recently 'upgraded' to a new laptop running windows 10 and decided to revisit some tutorials from the past. I was following a database tutorial when Base just closed down for no reason with a message about recovering files when I restart Open Office. This happened several times. My question would be; "Are there any compatibility issues between Base in Open Office 4.1.6 and Windows 10?" I did not have any issues when using my old laptop on Windows 7 with Open Office version 3.
Open Office version 4.1.6 running on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ask yourself why we are running different operating systems. Some of us have computing experience of many decades.
l j l

Post by l j l »

Yes, I've been a mainframe programmer for over 20 years. I mentioned before that I don't use Microsoft anything unless it's necessary. I guess these days you can probably get lots of software to run on different operating systems, but many years ago I put Red Hat on my PC with a dual boot. I liked it, except for the fact that... at that time... there wasn't much software to run on it. I guess I'm just getting lazy and don't want to mess with a new operating system.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

l j l wrote:Assuming that had I continued to let it run in Safe mode and would not have had a hang, what does that indicate? I understand that in Safe mode the computer loads a limited number of drivers, but does that give any kind of clue as to where the problem lies?
First, it's almost certainly not the drivers. Incidentally missing drivers is why wi-fi / networking did not work.

The problem is almost certainly caused by one of the programs started automatically when Windows starts. Safe Mode prevents any of them starting.

Download CCleaner. Start it and go to Tools > Startup.

1. Disable half of the programs and restart the PC.

2. Does it now do it?

If it still does it it is one of those program remaining. Disable half of them and repeat.

If it stops doing it, it was one of those programs you disabled, so re-enable half of them and repeat.

Repeat until you have identified which program is causing the problem.

Bear in mind that it is possible, but very unlikely, that it could be two startup programs working in unison.
Attachments
CCleaner Startup Manager
CCleaner Startup Manager