OpenOffice crashes every file when opened w/ file explorer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
pcdap

OpenOffice crashes every file when opened w/ file explorer

Post by pcdap »

I am running Windows 10. Fairly recently there seemed to be an open office update (because it asked me for my initials again), and since then whenever I open an Open Office file from Windows 10 file explorer, even if I do not touch the keyboard, I get, after approximately 30 seconds, the message: "Open Office Document Recovery Due to an unexpected error, Open Office crashed. All the files you were working on will now be saved. The next time Open Office is launched, your files will be recovered automatically." I click Next, and it goes immediately into document recovery, and re-opens the file in Open Office, and the loop continues. This happens no matter if I use a recently used or saved file or an old one, and no matter if it is calc or write, and no matter if it is an Open Office format or other. However, if I open the calc or write app first, then open the file from there, I do not get the error/crash. How can I fix this? I have tried several files, so I know it is not related to one recently or not recently updated. I have updated to 4.1.6 and the same thing is happening. Regards, Debbi
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Open Office crashes every file when opened w/ file explo

Post by RoryOF »

Being asked for your name/initials is not a sign of an OpenOffice update: OpenOffice does not. repeat NOT, do incremental updates. It is an indication that the computer was powered off before the OpenOffice housekeeping was written to disk. If you get the recovery message try cancelling it. If the problem continues, delete or rename your OO user profile (a reinstall does not do this).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Open Office crashes every file when opened w/ file explo

Post by John_Ha »

What version of AOO are you running - 4.1.5 or 4.1.6?

We are getting a spate of "AOO hanging (though often incorrectly reported as crashing) / cannot open file / cannot save file" etc. The vast majority are from Windows 10 users.

Now A)) 4.1.5 has not been changed so the if this spate of problems is due to AOO it must be due to AOO 4.1.6.

On the other hand, Windows 10 updates frequently and previous W10 updates are known to have caused problems fro AOO.

See Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.