Language settings keep changing

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
1000Ballons

Language settings keep changing

Post by 1000Ballons »

-- I ahve checked out previouse questions and answers with a similar problem and non of them had the right answer --

I write both in English and German and both languages are installed in Open Office. Right now I am trying to write in German but OO keeps reverting to English no matter how often I even change the default language to German as soon as I type another word it reverts to English again.

Now before you start with paragraph style. I also checked there and even in the paragraph settings it says German but still OO shows me English and spell checks in English.

I have used Open Office for years and never had a problem with he this before. I recently got a new computer and with that installed the latest OO version and now it does this. It is really really really annoying. Please help me!!!
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
YODA

Re: Language settings keep changing

Post by YODA »

What does Tools>Options>Language Settings>User interface and Locale Setting say? I ask because if they both say something like Default-English(USA) then that might be the source of your problem.
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
1000Ballons

Post by 1000Ballons »

Hi yeah, user interface language is of course English (UK), because that is the language I use the programm in. But the 'Default language for documents' is German! Either way user interface language and document language shouldn't be connected they are very differnt things.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Language settings are fully covered in the Writer Guide.

You will find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
1000Ballons

Post by 1000Ballons »

You obviously haven't read my problem, I know how setup different languages. I have been doing it succesfully in years without any problems. The problem only occured once I installed the new version on my new laptop. I have everying setup the way it should. I have three different language dictionaries installed. But eventhough I have even changed the defaul language to German OO keeps going back to English.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The language you set up is the language for new documents. Existing documents and templates keep their own language setting.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
1000Ballons

Post by 1000Ballons »

Add: Even when I highlight a whole body of text and change the language to German 'for the selection' and the go into the body of text and start typing the language reverts back to English. Could you please explain me that?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You probably need to change the keyboard input language setting in Windows. AOO reverts to the input language setting whenever the user starts typing. See these discussions:

Selecting different language for new writer doc doesn't work

[Solved] Language switches by itself
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Choosing language settings in Chapter 2 Setting up Writer and Using built-in language tools in Chapter 3 Working with Text. Search the Writer Guide with language - there are 82 hits.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.