Undo formating

Discuss the word processor
mnm64

Undo formating

Post by mnm64 »

I cannot figure out how to do away with formatting. Sometimes I want the number formatting to work sometimes I do not. This is about as basic as you can get - how do I fix this? The whole program is useless if I cannot go all the way to the left! Edit Undo does not get me all the way to the left. Please help! Again, the whole program is pretty useless if you cannot stick the cursor where I want it to go - not where the computer tells me I have to put it!!!!!!!
openoffice 4.1.3
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
robleyd

Re: Undo formating

Post by robleyd »

Apache OpenOffice contain a number of components - a spreadsheet, word processor, presentation tool and others.

Without knowing which component you are using, and exactly what you are doing when you are encountering the problem, we can only guess. Please provide specific details of the component you are using and exactly what you are doing.

If you are talking about the spreadsheet application, Calc, , you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know

OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples

For the word processor, Writer, see the Writer guide

If you are new to Mac and AOO, [Tutorial] Mac FAQ is a useful resource.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Sometimes I want the number formatting to work sometimes I do not.
Which numbers? Dates? Please give us more details about your problem.

And use the most valuable feature of the AOO/LO: the Styles.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

mnm64 wrote:I cannot figure out how to do away with formatting. Sometimes I want the number formatting to work sometimes I do not. This is about as basic as you can get - how do I fix this? The whole program is useless if I cannot go all the way to the left! Edit Undo does not get me all the way to the left. Please help! Again, the whole program is pretty useless if you cannot stick the cursor where I want it to go - not where the computer tells me I have to put it!!!!!!!
Please explain which program you're using, what type of numbering you want to "fix" and exactly what "Sometimes I want the number formatting to work and sometimes I do not" means.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you require an editing program that is basically a computer typewriter, then Microsoft's WordPad might better suit your needs than OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

mnm64 wrote:I cannot figure out how to do away with formatting.
I interpret this to mean that you want to remove some formatting in a particular document. If you mean that you want to turn off all automatic formatting in Writer for all future documents, then uncheck the "While Typing" option under Format > AutoCorrect.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Markdc

Post by Markdc »

If you want to remove formatting in open office document, then switch off the automatic formatting in the writer then uncheck the "While Typing" option under Format > AutoCorrect.

You can also try :
To turn to autoformat on or off, go to Format > AutoFormat and select or deselect the items on the submenu.

While Typing automatically formats the document while you type.
If While Typing is deselected, you can select Apply to automatically format the file.
Apply and Edit Changes automatically formats the file and then opens a dialog box where you can accept or reject the changes.
open office 4.1.5