[Solved] Unauthorized changes blocked error w. opening .doc

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
paulfoxrealtor

[Solved] Unauthorized changes blocked error w. opening .doc

Post by paulfoxrealtor »

I'm running OpenOffice (OO) 4 (4.1.5) on Windows 10 home, 64 bit Dell Inspiron, Intel Core I5-5200U CPU, 2.2 GHZ, 8G Ram.

I recently updated OO to 4.1.5 and am now receiving an error message from the Windows Threat & Protection portion of the Windows Defender Security Center. I receive an error message upon opening any OO document. The message is:

Unauthorized changes blocked Controlled folder access blocked C:\program...\soffice.bin from making changes to the folder %userprofile%\documents

I have also, once or twice, when trying to save a new document, when after clicking on "Save as" and the new smaller window opens allowing me to choose where to save and the name of the file highlighted in blue, when I change the name and choose the location and click "save" I get an error message saying the system "could not find"...then references the name I just gave the doc to be saved. As if it is searching for that file instead of saving, even though the button to click in the lower right clearly says "save."

This has only happened a few times and I have not been able to re-create it myself, it seems to happen randomly.

I have disabled the "Check Apps and Files" function in Windows defender and this has stopped the 2 error messages but is obviously just a band aid.

This is my first time posting here I hope I provided the proper information. I did search the forum before posting but did not find any posts that addressed this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
open Office 4 4.1.5 Win10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: "Unauthorized changes blocked" error msg when opening .d

Post by Bill »

Click the Windows Defender icon on the Taskbar. In the Windows Defender Security Center, click "Virus & threat protection". Click "Virus & threat protection settings". Scroll down to "Controlled folder access" and click "Allow an app through Controlled folder access". Click "+" by "Add an allowed app". On the Open dialog, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program, select "soffice.bin", then click "Open". Re-enable "Check Apps and Files".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
paulfoxrealtor

Post by paulfoxrealtor »

Solved....at least so far. Thanks for the help finding the right folder. I had tried to add an exception for OpenOffice but I never found the folder. Thanks for helping me navigate there. I actually had to add several exceptions, there was no soffice.bin, there was soffice.bin.manifest which I added. That didn't do it so I added soffice.exe, soffice.ini and that seemed to get it done. Thanks again I appreciate the help.
open Office 4 4.1.5 Win10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

paulfoxrealtor wrote:...there was no soffice.bin...
Look again. Soffice.bin is the file mentioned in the error message and Apache OpenOffice won't work without it. It is the only file that needs to be allowed through Controlled folder access. I've never added any of the other files you mentioned.
wqi

Re: [Solved] Unauthorized changes blocked error w. opening .

Post by wqi »

Type powershell in the Start menu, right click Windows PowerShell and click Run as administrator
Enter the following cmdlet:

Code: Select all

Add-MpPreference -ControlledFolderAccessAllowedApplications "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin"
https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/window ... loit-guard
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
achapman12

Post by achapman12 »

I have seen the messages indicating to add the soffice.bin to the list of approved apps. However, Win 10 will not allow me to find that file name. When I look in the directory it doesn't show. My copy of Open Office does work so obviously I have the soffice.bin file but where is it?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Win 10
Slowandlow

Post by Slowandlow »

Actually, everyone here is right, in one way or another! After digging into this issue (I got exactly the same problem as the initial question written by paulfoxrealtor) I finally got it working like a wonder!

It is correct that the file "soffice.bin" DOES exist in the folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program

But it is ALSO correct that this file does NOT show up as an accessible file, when you want to find and open this file in "Allow an app through controlled folder access ".

(settings/update&security/windows security/open windows defender security centre/virus&threat protection/ransomware protection/allow an app through controlled folder access)

When you get there and press the "+ Add an allowed app"- sign and follow the path above in the file explorer window that appears, you will get access to several files and folders, but NOT to the desired file "soffice.bin" (at least this is the case for Windows 10, 2018 fall update). The other, accessible files are possible to open and add to the list of allowed apps at "Allow an app through controlled folder access", but this will NOT solve the promblem: OpenOffice will not open correctly and it will not be possible to save any files written in OpenOffice. The only file that is able to fix the problem is the "soffice.bin" (the type is BIN- file) and this file does only exist in one place.

So, the quick and easy way to SOLVE this problem is doing exactly as "wqi" stated earlier: making the Powershell entry (also look on the provided link to Microsoft support for more info). I made this entry, hit enter, closed the Powershell window, opened the "Allow an app through controlled folder access" AND THERE THE "soffice.bin"- file was, correctly and nicely added as an allowed app!!! Then I tested the OpenOffice and everthing works fine! Case closed.

Thanx for helping me understand the matter and solve the problem!

BRG/ Örjan.
OpenOffice 4.6.1 Windows 10, 2018 fall update
achapman12

Post by achapman12 »

Thank you!!!!! That worked!!!! I also had the Win 10, 2018 fall update.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Win 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Slowandlow wrote:Actually, everyone here is right, in one way or another! After digging into this issue (I got exactly the same problem as the initial question written by paulfoxrealtor) I finally got it working like a wonder!

It is correct that the file "soffice.bin" DOES exist in the folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program

But it is ALSO correct that this file does NOT show up as an accessible file, when you want to find and open this file in "Allow an app through controlled folder access ".

(settings/update&security/windows security/open windows defender security centre/virus&threat protection/ransomware protection/allow an app through controlled folder access)

When you get there and press the "+ Add an allowed app"- sign and follow the path above in the file explorer window that appears, you will get access to several files and folders, but NOT to the desired file "soffice.bin" (at least this is the case for Windows 10, 2018 fall update).
According to the information I've been able to find, after you press "Add an allowed app", you should see an option for "Recently blocked apps". Did you try that option instead of "Browse all apps".

The "Recently blocked apps" and "Browse all apps" options were added with Windows 10 build 17704, so the instructions I posted in January may not be correct for the current Windows 10 build. Someone who is still using Windows 10 should check to see if "soffice.bin" is now being listed under "Recently blocked apps" instead of "Browse all apps".
tosingornottosing

Post by tosingornottosing »

Bill wrote:Click the Windows Defender icon on the Taskbar. In the Windows Defender Security Center, click "Virus & threat protection". Click "Virus & threat protection settings". Scroll down to "Controlled folder access" and click "Allow an app through Controlled folder access". Click "+" by "Add an allowed app". On the Open dialog, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program, select "soffice.bin", then click "Open". Re-enable "Check Apps and Files".
I have been dealing with this same issue for a month. This solution worked beautifully. Thanks very much.
openoffice 4.3 on windows 10 on IBM
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial]Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 for a discussion of Windows Defender - Controlled Folder Access and how to enable AOO and/or LO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.