Size of typing area

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ldxrunner

Size of typing area

Post by ldxrunner »

Greetings to all, I believe someone has corrupted Open Office. Yesterday, Wednesday, December 26 I was able to type using font IBM PLex Serif Medium with 15. Today Thursday, December 27 that seems too small. I changed to 20 with the same font seems to all right. Compared to other word processors, the area seems small. I reset the browser and reinstalled extensions and that did not change anything. What happened? How can I correct this? Thank you.
Open Office vesion 4.1.0 Windows 7 64--bit
RusselB

Re: Size of typing area

Post by RusselB »

I suspect that the OpenOffice profile has gotten corrupted, rather than the OpenOffice program.
This is the case for many otherwise unexplainable and/or sudden problems with OpenOffice.
The fix is, for most, fairly easy, and described in The OpenOffice User Profile
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Look at the lower right corner of the writer window. Set the slider to 100%.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
johno

Post by johno »

I also have this problem, mainly due to the post operative impact of cataract surgery. I am running Open Office V4 on a Windows 10 tablet and just cant see what I'm typing as I input cell data. Open Office, Windows 10 and the tablet are all new experiences for me, having come from Excel on a Windows 8.1 laptop, and I don't know what the term 'writer window' means. I'll have a look at my OpenOffice user profile but can someone please give me a hint regarding the writer window?

Thanks

johno
OpenOffice v4 on Win10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Don't bother with the profile, it is probably not the solution for your issue. As suggested above, look at the slider in the lower right of your document window; increase the value and see if that helps. Alternatively, you can use the menu option View | Zoom to adjust the zoom of your document. See this post of mine for an image of the slider

Writer is the word processor program in OpenOffice, like Word in MS Office; writer window simply means the window in which your Writer - word processor - document is opened.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
ShardulNayak
Banned

Post by ShardulNayak »

[quote="johno"]I also have this problem, mainly due to the post operative impact of cataract surgery. I am running Open Office V4 on a [url=https://spicecloud.in/best-laptops-under-30000/][color=#000000]Windows 10 laptop[/color][/url] and just cant see what I'm typing as I input cell data. Open Office which is a good office software, Windows 10 and the tablet are all new experiences for me, having come from Excel on a Windows 8.1 laptop, and I don't know what the term 'writer window' means. I'll have a look at my OpenOffice user profile but can someone please give me a hint regarding the writer window?

Thanks

johno[/quote]

I have same problem like you johno. And I am also using Openoffice on Windows 10.
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Disable live links
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
YODA

Post by YODA »

Go to View>Zoom and select 100% and see if that works.
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
johno

Post by johno »

Thanks, I'll try View>Zoom over the weekend and report back. I suspect it will make individual cells look much larger as well, which is something I don't particularly need. Meanwhile, I guess Writer was a red herring as it's a spreadsheet I'm struggling with at the moment. What is the OpenOffice equivalent of Excel, anyway?
OpenOffice v4 on Win10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The OpenOffice equivalent of Excel is called Calc. It is generally functionally equivalent, but uses a different underlying engine, so that Excel macros will not run on Calc. /View /Zoom, or pulling the slider at bottom right of the Calc window if the Status Bar is displayed (/View /Status bar will turn it on) will change the scaling of the display.

See how you get on with that; there are minor adjustments one can make to the size of menu type; come back if you need those.
 Edit: The scaling slider is shown on the Status Bar at the bottom right of all of the OO windows. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
johno

Post by johno »

I tried the slider and, while it helps. It does no seem to do anything for the size of the input box on the command(?) bar. It does seem to make life easier, though.
OpenOffice v4 on Win10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I'm suspecting that the "input box" (aka formula bar) will only be changed in size by changing the display resolution of your monitor, which is controlled via your operating system.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can change the input scaling and icon size in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /View.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS