Delete unused languages

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Tracey End User

Delete unused languages

Post by Tracey End User »

How can I delete unused languages(format> character> font> language) from OpenOffice?
I mostly select either English or Spanish.
I have to scroll through all the other languages between the two.
Only English, French, and Spanish are checked (for/during) the installation process, but they all get installed anyway.
Please advise.
Thanks, Tracey
Just FYI: I was able to accomplish this functionality for the dictionary by NOT installing any dictionary then just installing the English and Spanish dictionary AFTER OpenOffice installation was completed --- BUT I do not know how to do this for the "language" which I assume also includes the language for the User Interface.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: delete unused languages

Post by John_Ha »

Tools > Extension Manager > select a dictionary > Remove.

Tools > Language Settings > Languages. Click Help for more information.

See Choosing Language Settings in Chapter 2 of the Writer Guide.

You will find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

If all else fails, then

1. Uninstall AOO
2. Download AOO and install AOO
3. Reset the profile - see Resetting the user profile. This deletes all the dictionaries.

You now have a shiny new default AOO. Tools > Extension Manager > Get more extensions on line ..., to download more dictionaries.
Tracey End User wrote:How can I delete unused languages(format> character> font> language) from OpenOffice?
What you then see is the language the selected text is in. It has nothing to do with dictionaries although you would normally add a French dictionary if you wanted to spellcheck a document containing French text.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Don't use Format > Character > Font > Languages to select the language. Set up a character style for each language you use, then use Tools > Language or the language setting on the Status bar to select the language. The language lists at Tools > Language and on the Status bar should include only the language for your locale and the languages in the character styles and the interface language.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Tracey End User

Post by Tracey End User »

This solution (use the status bar) is fine for the Writer, but it does not appear to work for Calc :-(

If there is a way to delete/remove other languages that were flagged as do not install I would like to know that.

If not, I would like to know the way to enable the <language feature> in the status bar in Calc.

Please advise.
Thanks, Tracey
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I doubt that you can remove languages from the list. That list is probably in the source code, not something that is "installed" separately.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Delete unused languages

Post by Hagar Delest »

The only optimization without uninstalling languages is to remove the check mark, see: Removing all these extra dictionaries I don't need.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10