[Solved] Spreadsheet background colours

Discuss the spreadsheet application
helpkeith

[Solved] Spreadsheet background colours

Post by helpkeith »

My wife has encountered a problem with her spreadsheets. She is unable to display the background colours (colors) although they appear correctly on the menu display. I suspect the problem is in the setting of one of the hundreds of Windows modules - but how can I find out & change it? She is on Windows 7. Your experienced thoughts would be gratefully received. Keith
Last edited by helpkeith on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Spreadsheet background

Post by Villeroy »

What exactly are you doing to change the back color of which object?
What happens when you try?
What do you expect to happen?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
helpkeith

Post by helpkeith »

Thanks to the team for your quick response. My wife is one of a team using the spreadsheets to transcribe info in parallel & differences are highlighted. These differences are indicated by using background colour in cells for which the transcribers disagree in their readings (the input is from manuscripts dating from about 1710). If the background colours do not work, she cannot tell which data need to be re-checked. The colours are turned on/off using the key-strokes Alt-O, select "cell", press "enter", select "background", select colour required. But these colours no longer display in the cells selected in the spreadsheet. They did until there was a restart problem with her laptop a few days ago. Does this clarify the problem? As I said, I think it's not an Open Office problem, more a Windows feature.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Edit>View>Highlight Values = OFF (Ctrl+F8 toggles on and off)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
helpkeith

Re: Spreadsheet background colours

Post by helpkeith »

Hi! Before I fiddle about with sending files, let me give you a couple more symptoms I have noticed.
During the logon period into Windows, one of the welcome screens displays as black on white instead of the usual white on blue. When I go into Open Office, the menu appears on a black background instead of white. This means that the words appear as black on black & are therefore illegible. Does this suggest anything? I have tried Windows troubleshooting without success. By the way, the version says Windows 7 Ultimate on logon. Keith
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Spreadsheet background colours

Post by Zizi64 »

During the logon period into Windows, one of the welcome screens displays as black on white instead of the usual white on blue. When I go into Open Office, the menu appears on a black background instead of white.
It seems a display driver problem.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
helpkeith

Re: [Solved]Spreadsheet background colours

Post by helpkeith »

Many thanks for the clue - I was able to use the troubleshoot option on the control panel display item to establish that there was a fault that could be automatically corrected. Keith