[Solved] Calc scrolling change from Air to Pro

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
mmanson

[Solved] Calc scrolling change from Air to Pro

Post by mmanson »

Hi,

I used to work on a MacBook Air 2011 and Calc scrolling was really really smooth. I open large files with sometimes over 200,000 rows and I scroll very quickly with the touch pad. Most rows contain random phone numbers and my goal is to notice patterns. This is quite easy when scrolling is smooth.

Two days ago I got a 2016 MacBook Pro 15''. I migrated the Air to the Pro with the OS option. Now scrolling is choppy, really choppy. This used to happen on the Air only during super high stress on the machine, like streaming + having a ton of files open and so on. Otherwise super smooth.

Settings are identical, I updated to 4.1.3 from 4.1.3, it did not fix it. I notice that when scrolling the CPU usage gets very high on the Pro. This is so weird. The 2011 Air is super underpowered compared to the 2016 Pro. The Pro handles everything the Air struggled with at barely 1% CPU usage. The moment I start scrolling it goes very high and the laptop even gets a bit hot. Any ideas what is causing this?

EDIT:
CPU usage when OpenOffice is open with the huge cvs file- 0-0.1% by Open Office.
CPU usage with PopCorn Time streaming 1080p movie to chromecast + Chrome open with a lot of tabs + a lot of other small programs- 3% max.
CPU usage when scrolling in OpenOffice in the 0.1% file- 74%

There is something seriously wrong there. The behaviour on the Pro is identical to the behaviour on the Air when the CPU was really stressed. Calc scrolling shouldn't stress a quad-core i7 that way
Last edited by mmanson on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.3 MacOS 10.12.6
MrProgrammer

Re: Calc scrolling change from Air to Pro

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
mmanson wrote:I scroll very quickly with the touch pad. … Now scrolling is choppy, really choppy.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ, maybe Q15/A15, Q32/A32, or Q02/A02. I don't recall similar topics in the forum. Since you did the migration with "with the OS option" ensure that you have the correct OS X software installed (including touchpad drivers) to support your new hardware. Questions about the correct OS X software for your situation or how to migrate from one Mac to another are off topic for this forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
mmanson

Re: Calc scrolling change from Air to Pro

Post by mmanson »

MrProgrammer wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum.
mmanson wrote:I scroll very quickly with the touch pad. … Now scrolling is choppy, really choppy.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ, maybe Q15/A14, Q32/A32, or Q02/A02. I don't recall similar topics in the forum. Since you did the migration with "with the OS option" ensure that you have the correct OS X software installed (including touchpad drivers) to support your new hardware. Questions about the correct OS X software for your situation or how to migrate from one Mac to another are off topic for this forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Thank you so much. I tried before Q02/A02, it did not help. But the Q15/A15 solved it for me. I clicked around different profiles and put the suggested Generic RGB Profile. Now it scrolls smoothly just like it was on the Air. Again, thanks for the help

EDIT: Info for others who might eventually come to this thread. The default profile for the Macbook Pro is Display P3. The difference in scrolling is staggering, it is night and day.

Is this something which might be addressed in future Oo releases? I would rather use the default color setting as suggested by Apple
OpenOffice 4.3 MacOS 10.12.6
kevintap

Re: [Solved] Calc scrolling change from Air to Pro

Post by kevintap »

+1 on this, thank you! Changing the Display Color profile fixed scrolling issues on Mac OS for me. Calc was almost unusable before making this config change.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Mac OS 10.14.1