Automatic Cloud or anything of the Like

Talk about anything at all....
SaltLamp

Automatic Cloud or anything of the Like

Post by SaltLamp »

Hi - am looking into downloading OpenOffice 4.1.4 am under the impression this is the latest version - on my Windows 10 Microsft Surface Pro tablet.

Also primarily want to know - is Cloud or anything of the like automatic on OpenOffice ? I actually don't want it and would like to deactivate or know how to not use it - if necessary.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10 Pro
FJCC

Re: Automatic Cloud or anything of the Like

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice is a local application with no "cloud" features. The current version is 4.1.6
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The latest version is 4.1.6 - download it via http://www.openoffice.org/download/ or the Get OpenOffice image at the bottom right of every page in the forum. You may find it helpful to look at the installation instructions linked from that page.

There is no cloud of any kind, cumulus, cirrus, stratus or internet in OpenOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
SaltLamp

Post by SaltLamp »

Thanks Peeps.

Yes - I saw the 4.1.6 version on their site.

I have Windows 10 - the only Windows choice on their drop down selection list for Windows is Windows EXE.

Anyone know if that means is ok to download to Windows 10 as well ?

Thanks.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you look at the System Requirements link on the download page, you'll see under Windows -> Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2012, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
SaltLamp

Post by SaltLamp »

It appears to me I have to select a third party port, - which does not include 64 bit Windows 10 ?

Does anybody know whether I can just select Windows EXE to download to Windows 10 (64 bit) ?

Thanks.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There is only one Windows version, and it is 32 bit for installation on both 32 and 64 bit Windows as per the list above. Just select Windows EXE for any of those versions of Windows, 32 or 64 bit regardless.

You may also want to read https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... stallation
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
SaltLamp

Post by SaltLamp »

Thanks David !
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

For the record:
EXE is not a Windows version. It is Microsoft's way to specify that the file is executable. I.e., you can start the downloaded installer, it is a "self contained" program.

Also, some parts of OpenOffice still depend on Java. You may get a message that Java was not found. If you do, you need to install the appropriate Java version to proceed.
Since the Windows version of OpenOffice is a 32-bit application, you need to install 32-bit Java. By default, when you have a 64-bit OS you will get the 64-bit java runtime when you try to download and install it. You need to explicitly select 32-bit. The 32- and 64-bit versions will live happily side by side. No conflicts should arise there.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It appears to me I have to select a third party port, - which does not include 64 bit Windows 10 ?
The LibreOffice has 32 and 64 bit versions (I am using the 32 bit version/s/ on a 64 bit Win 7).
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

And the LO has an online version too (I never tried it):
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/li ... ce-online/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.