[Solved] Multiple calculations of columns of data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
gehrig38

[Solved] Multiple calculations of columns of data

Post by gehrig38 »

Hey guys
First timer here.
I hope I can explain what I am looking for.
This picture is from a spreadsheet obviously.
Here is my goal.
I need to do a =sum and grab these columns and their values, and have that result in another cell. I can do that
Then I need that sum / the number of columns I grab the values from, so it would be the columns values / sum of the total cells I took the values from
THEN
I need to be able to import another batch of data at the end of the current set, and redo the math.
I'm fine if I need to redrag or redo the equation, but is there an actual way to do this?
Thanks in advance
vista calc.png
vista calc.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator].
Last edited by gehrig38 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows Vista
robleyd

Re: Not sure there's a solution here...

Post by robleyd »

It's not quite clear to me exactly what you are trying to achieve, and your image doesn't really help.
I need to do a =sum and grab these columns and their values, and have that result in another cell. I can do that
I think you are saying that you want individual sums of each column? But then your next need is totally not clear to me. Perhaps you could upload a sample spreadsheet - NOT an image - showing the type of data you are working with and the structure of the data, together with an example of the results you are trying to get, someone might be able to make suggestions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Re: Multiple calculations of columns of data

Post by RusselB »

the number of columns I grab the values from, so it would be the columns values / sum of the total cells
Are you getting numbers from more than one column? Your picture only shows one column.
The sum of the values divided by the number of values in the column is easily done using the AVERAGE function
But your statement about "number of columns" makes me think you have multiple columns... in which case, if you want the average of the columns, you'll need to sum each column, then average the sums.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

First off thanks for the quick reply!
I need to grab a column of numbers and then have that TOTAL divided by the number of cells I took the data from. The image above there are 18 cells with values.
I need a cell that takes those 18 numbers and "knows" to divide that total by "18" since that was the number of cells used to get that total.

I will be entering new data daily. In the way of more "actual scores" and I just want to be able to do what I did the first time, grab all the cells from before, plus the new values, and have that value updated to reflect the new totals and the new average.
Thanks again for being so quick to reply.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

Holy crap. Was it really that easy?
=average()?
Sorry for wasting your time:)
Again I sincerely appreciate you replying so quickly.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

One more question if I may?
Longshot but worth a try I guess.
Say I import a large swath of data. Players, statistics and what not.
Does OO have the ability to take that data and 'arrange' it with similar data on that sheet AND other sheets.
For example:
I have Sidney Crosbys season totals to date, home and away and all stats relevant that I use.
Does OO have the ability to take new data I import and parse that out to the current data?
If he plays a road game and I import stats, he has 5 shots, 1 goal, 2 assists
If I set it up would the program be able to add 5 shots, 1 goal and 2 assists to Crosbys ROAD GAME totals?
I am pretty sure I know the answer but felt I'd ask anyway
Again I appreciate you taking the time
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

For all that, technically yes Open Office can.
However it'd be easier using Base, the database component, rather than Calc where you are starting from
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.