Windows media opens my documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
wurry

Windows media opens my documents

Post by wurry »

Most of my open office documents open with Windows Media so I can't open them. Why, and can anyone tell me how to get them back to ODT?
open office 4 on windows 8
RoryOF

Re: windows media

Post by RoryOF »

Set File Associations for the file types in question to be opened with OpenOffice. Right click on an .odt file (I'll use ,odt as an example) and select Open With from the popup. Choose OpenOffice and make sure the "always open with this application" (words to that effect) box is checked. If OO does not show up in the list of applications offered, at the bottom there should be a link to "open with other application" (words to that effect) and manoeuvre to "soffice.exe" and select that. Repeat the procedure for each file type that you wish OO to open (provided it can open that type of file).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wurry

Post by wurry »

Thanks for that Rory. I am not very IT sane, but I tried what you suggested but no luck. Even though the file extension is .odt, the 'type of document' says Windows Media P{layer and that is what it opens with.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs (or Associate a file type ... for just one file qualifier). Give AOO all its defaults.
Clipboard01.png
Or right click the .odt file > Properties > General. Choose the program which opens it by navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\swriter.exe.
Clipboard02.png
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
wurry

Re: Windows media opens my documents

Post by wurry »

Sorry, butr I can't make that work. Likely because I am thick! In settings, choose a default by file type, the long list of file types does not include .odt.