[Solved] Opening BASE database

Discuss the database features
tomlock2

[Solved] Opening BASE database

Post by tomlock2 »

I create an OO Database, create 1 small table in it and save it. I cannot reopen it. Always comes up with a FILTER SELECTION window when I try. This happened using OO 4.1.5 and i just updated to 4.1.6-- same thing. I cannot create, save and reopen ANY OO Base file. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5
OS Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Opening BASE database

Post by John_Ha »

It sounds like a corrupted file.

Please upload the file so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

Create a new test file. Does it work OK?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
tomlock2

Post by tomlock2 »

I could send you the file but it maybe a waste of time since problem occurs with any OO Base file I create. The problem is not just 1 OOBase file it is ALL OO Base files that I create.
Open Office 4.1.5
OS Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Can you open and re-open other people's databases from viewforum.php?f=100 ?
download/file.php?id=11250 is an embedded HSQLDB without macros. Should work with any default setup of OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

May also be relevant - where are you saving the file(s)? Default location on C: - other location on C: - external device, type?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

tomlock2 wrote: I cannot reopen it. Always comes up with a FILTER SELECTION window when I try.
An AOO database .odb file is a binary ZIP file.

If you see the ASCII Filter Options pop-up below when opening a .odb file it is because the .odb file is not a binary ZIP file and is not a proper .odb file. It is a flat ASCII file like a .txt file.
Attachments
ASCII Filter pop-up when opening a flat ASCII file.
ASCII Filter pop-up when opening a flat ASCII file.
Clipboard01.png (10.73 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
tomlock2

Post by tomlock2 »

Robleyd === you nailed it!

I was saving all of my newly created BASE files on a Flash Drive attached to my router. If instead I save them on my C: drive everything works!
Can someone explain why that is the case??
Open Office 4.1.5
OS Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Opening BASE database

Post by Villeroy »

If the status bar of your "Base database" looks like this:
then you should know that this is a database package which installs a HSQL database to a temporary directory when you start editing data and which gets repackackaged when you stop editing data.

While being very brittle, this database container is good enough for educational purposes and for less important stuff. In any case you must not use this database without backups and you definitively must not store it on a flash drive (well, you may store backups on flash but not the working copy).

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=17125&p=459391#p459391
Using a USB stick with OpenOffice.org and its Derivatives
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice