[Solved] Toolbar moving woes

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
anzon

[Solved] Toolbar moving woes

Post by anzon »

I am trying to move a toolbar as per documentation.
I have plenty of space on the second row that i have of toolbars.
When I try to move and then release a toolbar in an empty patch on that second line, the toolbar insists on cramming up into the top line where it then shunts those, happily esconced and displaying beautifully, into abbreviated, diminished version of themselves.
Furthermore, that top line of toolbars is visually cut short when resizing the "windows" / frame in MacOs Mojave 10.14.1 running Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit) and using AOO413m1(Build:9783) - Rev. 1761381 2016-09-23 02:39:34 (Fri, 23 Sep 2016).
I know there is a newer version of OOCalc/ OO, but hey this is a good version for my little brain, and does everything else wonderfully.
Other behaviour / diagnostics
The toolbar chosen, and it seems not, so far, to matter which, happily exists in a floating mode, but will not dock as preferred.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
open office 3.1.1 OOO310M19(BUILD:9420)
windows xp
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Toolbar moving woes

Post by Villeroy »

anzon wrote:I know there is a newer version of OOCalc/ OO, but hey this is a good version for my little brain, and does everything else wonderfully.
In theory, 4.x should be more "advanced" than version 3.x but it is almost the same with some sugar coating.
4.0.x is the same program as 4.0.0 but with less bugs.
4.1.6 is the same program as 4.1.0 but with less bugs.

The first number should indicate major development leaps but does not since OpenOffice is a dead project walking.
The second number indicates minor improvements and additional features. However, you will not notice anything in the upcoming version 4.2.0 compared to any 4.1.x version unless you read the list of changes on the project home page. You will hardly notice anything new since version 3.6 of 2011 since OpenOffice is a dead project walking.
The third number always indicates that this version does not include any changes except bug fixes. x.y.6 is more like x.y.0 should have been in an ideal world.

I can't tell much about toolbars since I only use them for graphic stuff and hide all of them except for the standard one with the most important functions plus some of my own buttons.
Oh, they dock and undock when you double-click a grey area without button with the Ctrl key being pressed. When Ctrl+Dbl-Clicking, each one remembers its last position when docked or undocked respectively. And the "corrugated" left end serves as a handle for exact positioning. This handle can be turned on/off by the rightmost drop down menu on the right end.
If you want to permanently hide a toolbar, then you should use menu:View>Toolbars. Any other method hides it temporarily.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

anzon wrote:When I try to move and then release a toolbar in an empty patch on that second line, the toolbar insists on cramming up into the top line where it then shunts those, happily esconced and displaying beautifully, into abbreviated, diminished version of themselves.
I am unable to reproduce your problem. Toolbar positioning works fine for me on MacOS 10.11 and AOO 4.1.5. I don't run MacOS 10.14. You could see if the problem exists on the Guest User account ([Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q28/A28).
anzon wrote:The toolbar chosen, and it seems not, so far, to matter which, happily exists in a floating mode, but will not dock as preferred.
While floating you should be able to click the ▼ on the toolbar and select Dock Toolbar.
Villeroy wrote:I can't tell much about toolbars since I only use them for graphic stuff …. Oh, they dock and undock when you double-click a grey area without button with the Ctrl key being pressed.
I seldom use foolbars either. On a Mac you'll use the ⌘ key instead of Ctrl.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
anzon

Post by anzon »

The ⌘ double-click to undock is another neat way to also undock, as well as click-hold-drag on the vertical six dots on the left of a toolbar. To then dock a toolbar in a new position on a lower, new or second "line" is do-able close up to the left hand side of the frame, but not quite as close as the left position of the toolbar in the line above. The docking procedure volunteers to create an alternative vertical left hand side toolbar instead, if you go too close to the left of the frame's left edge. With a toolbar now positioned on a second line, no other tool bar is suffered to share that line, which is useful only if you want a very long edit box. The "lock toolbar position" toggle seems to help as the positioning neatens up and then extra toolbars can be put on a same line. So, is it a behaviour with multiple unlocked position toolbars?
open office 3.1.1 OOO310M19(BUILD:9420)
windows xp