[Solved] How to Blank Out Unwanted Results

Discuss the spreadsheet application
KitchM

[Solved] How to Blank Out Unwanted Results

Post by KitchM »

In the attached sample spreadsheet file (which is a portion of another sheet), Row 7 has a problem in that it creates unwanted numbers. I would prefer that Row 7 remains all blank until data is entered into Columns A, C and H. How can I accomplish that?
Attachments
Sample Spreadsheet.ods
Sample File
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by KitchM on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RusselB

Re: How to Blank Out Unwanted Results

Post by RusselB »

I'm going to suggest wrapping some of the formulas in an IF statement. Specifically the formulas in columns B, D, and I.
In column B, I'd suggest using

Code: Select all

=if(A2="";"";A2-A1)
This is a simpler method of calculating the number of days, which is what the DAYS function does, and it takes into account if the current row has an entry in column A or not. You can enter the above in B2 and then copy it down for however many rows you feel are needed.
You can also copy that same formula over to column D and column I, as the reference points will adjust automatically.
This will handle most of the calculations I suspect that you were wondering about... others will become a 0 or updated as the required information is entered.
You do have two columns with static data entered, which I have not touched, though looking at the data makes me think that these could be changed to a formula so that the previous entry is used, rather than a static entry on all rows... by changing them to formulas, they could be wrapped in an IF function similar to the one shown above.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
KitchM

Re: How to Blank Out Unwanted Results

Post by KitchM »

Thanks, RusselB. That looks pretty simple and elegant. If I understand what is going on, the formula states that IF something is in A then do the subtraction. In that case, the THEN is automatic when nothing is there and B is therefore left blank.

Thanks very much. That saves the day for me. :bravo:
RusselB

Re: How to Blank Out Unwanted Results [Solved]

Post by RusselB »

Specifically it checks if the cell is blank, and if it is returns a null character, the closest we can get to returning a blank in a formula, otherwise it does the math
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
KitchM

Re: [Solved] How to Blank Out Unwanted Results

Post by KitchM »

Thank you.