Line graph: Format x axis/grid to display ~10 out of 10k pts

Discuss the spreadsheet application
tawnirux

Line graph: Format x axis/grid to display ~10 out of 10k pts

Post by tawnirux »

I created a line graph from approximately 10,000 x-y data points. I need to format the x axis/grid similarly to the y axis to show how the data progresses. The only options available are to include all data points along the x axis, or create a grid that does the same.

The only suggestions I have found here include using the xy scatter chart type instead of a line graph, but I'm not sure how to make a single line/curve with both x-y points using that chart type. Another suggestion is to use open office drawing to edit the axis instead but there was no clear way to do that either.

Any help you can offered would be greatly appreciated.
mac os high sierra 10.13.3
openoffice 4.1.5
FJCC

Re: Line graph: Format x axis/grid to display ~10 out of 10k

Post by FJCC »

If you already have the x axis set up with the desired data as the labels of a line chart, you can make it an xy scatter plot by double clicking on the chart to put it in edit mode, then right click, select Chart Type and choose xy scatter.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Line graph: Format x axis/grid to display ~10 out of 10k

Post by jrkrideau »

I need to format the x axis/grid similarly to the y axis to show how the data progresses.
What exactly do you mean by this? Is the x-axis continuous data or discrete, that is, non-numeric?

FJCC's suggestion is probably what you want.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04