Large Function listing top 10 salesmen

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dwood505

Large Function listing top 10 salesmen

Post by dwood505 »

Helo,

I am brand new to this forum and tried to search for my answer, but only found out stuff that I am already familiar with. Here's my problem. I can list the top 10 sales values without the salesperson's names, but I also need the names for the 10 best salespeople. The problem I have is that two of the sales people have sold the exact same amount, but my formula only lists the first salesperson name twice. I used Vlookup and tried using the large function, but got the same results. For some reason it will only list the name of the first salesperson Example below:

Sales Person Sales

John Smith 2,000,000
Kevin Jones 1,970,000
Shirley Watts 1,500,500
Billy Barns 979,500
Bob Friendly 525,000
Bob Friendly 525,000 The second Bob Friendly should be Harold Pierce.

What can I do to fix this issue. Thanks for whatever help you can give me. DWoodly
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office Version 12.0.1 (14606.2.104.1.1)
MACOS Mojave version 10.14.1
FJCC

Re: Large Function listing top 10 values with salesmen names

Post by FJCC »

Have you considered using a filter instead of a function? To do that, select the data, including the header row and then the menu item Data -> Filter -> AutoFilter. From the drop down menu on the header of the Sales column select Top 10. You can then copy the list to a convenient place.
Alternatively, you can use Data -> Filter -> Standard Filter, set Field Name to Sales, Condition to Largest, Value to 10 and under More Options choose to Copy Results to a convenient place.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to combine the LARGE() and the VLOOKUP() functions. The names must be located at the right side of the values for the function VLOOKUP(): Make a helper column with a copy of the names.

Or please upload your ODF type samlpe file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Try to combine the LARGE() and the VLOOKUP() functions.
This way you get erroneous results as soon as the data LARGE() is applied to, contain any duplicates. Disambiguating them "on the fly" is possible, but a bit tricky. I would suggest to use a sorted copy (option 'Copy sort results to:').
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to combine the LARGE() and the VLOOKUP() functions.
This way you get erroneous results as soon as the data LARGE() is applied to, contain any duplicates.
Yes, it is true.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
dwood505 wrote:The problem I have is that two of the sales people have sold the exact same amount, but my formula only lists the first salesperson name twice.
[Solved] Need help with INDEX/MATCH function

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A pivot table can do the trick without clumsy formulas.
With a database instead of a spreadsheet it would be even easier.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Open Office Version 12.0.1 (14606.2.104.1.1)
This is apparently a message from the future ....
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers