[Solved] Update Checker isn't working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
JadianRadiator

[Solved] Update Checker isn't working

Post by JadianRadiator »

While browsing this forum, I saw that there was 4.1.6 out now.
I ran the update checker to see if it would save me the time it would take to download the entire installer.
And it fails, giving this error message.
Status
Checking for an update failed.
Description:
Error reading data from the Internet.
Server error message: .
Here's the screenshot if you think I was wrong about the "error message" being blank.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Update Checker isn't working

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice updates are always the full package. Download this from
http://www.openoffice.org/download

The problem of the broken update notifier is being investigated.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
cyrano333

Post by cyrano333 »

I too, experienced the error for the update checker. But when trying to download from the official site, I am met with a frustrating series of menus after clicking the "Windows EXE, Version 4.1.6, Download Full Version button" and never arrive at a place where I can actually download the file.
OpenOffice4.1.5 on Windows Vista
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You go to the official download page and select the windows exe thus (your language choice may be different)
download.png
You should click on Download full installation and you will then be redirected to the Sourceforge download site; do not click on anything on that page; and wait a few seconds and the download will start.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
cyrano333

Post by cyrano333 »

I'm trying to tell you, I've gone to the official download page, clicked on the full download, and it does not download. Instead, it takes me to this page:
Attachments
DownloadError.doc
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just tried - it is working correctly for me, both for Windows and for linux. I think you may need to clear your browser cache.
Kobra299

Post by Kobra299 »

I am also having this trouble and I have open office install on clean unused windows system and it comes up with that issue as well
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Kobra299 wrote:I am also having this trouble and I have open office install on clean unused windows system and it comes up with that issue as well
Which issue? The one described by the OP or the one described by cyrano333? They aren't the same.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

cyrano333 wrote:I'm trying to tell you, I've gone to the official download page, clicked on the full download, and it does not download. Instead, it takes me to this page:
What are you using for the download? Your description of the "official download page" isn't what is actually shown on the real official download page. The document you uploaded shows a Twitter logo and a URL for the search results on SourceForge. Clicking "Download Full Installation" on the official download page doesn't open the page shown in your document.
cyrano333

Post by cyrano333 »

For all experiencing the error that I had, I was using Firefox to go to the download page. Once I tried it with Opera, the "Download Full Version" worked perfectly and the download began. (Note: it still does not work with the latest 32-bit version of Firefox)

Thank you, Bill for trying, but the solution was browser specific.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to clear the browser cache on the "faulty" internet browser to cure the problem.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

cyrano333 wrote:For all experiencing the error that I had, I was using Firefox to go to the download page. Once I tried it with Opera, the "Download Full Version" worked perfectly and the download began. (Note: it still does not work with the latest 32-bit version of Firefox)

Thank you, Bill for trying, but the solution was browser specific.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Firefox 63.0.3 for windows works just fine to download the installation file.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Both Firefox and Opera download the latest OO version for me, running on linux Xubuntu 18.04.1 (64 bit).
Kobra299

Post by Kobra299 »

Bill wrote:
Kobra299 wrote:I am also having this trouble and I have open office install on clean unused windows system and it comes up with that issue as well
Which issue? The one described by the OP or the one described by cyrano333? They aren't the same.
the first main post about extention manager not connection to the internert
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There is no known solution for the Update Checker problem. It works fine for some users and doesn't work at all for others. No one knows what's causing the problem. If it doesn't work for you, then check the download page and the extensions site occasionally to see if there are any updates.
Amazed99

Post by Amazed99 »

RoryOF wrote:
The problem of the broken update notifier is being investigated.
Still investigating?
Open Office 4.1.6, Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You are probably looking at an old page stored in your browser cache.

Clear your browser cookies and/or cache and try again. Google for how to do it for your browser.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Amazed99

Post by Amazed99 »

John, cleared the cache and the cookies and still the same results, but thanks for trying. I know now that the work-around to the problem is to just download the latest version, but it would be nice if this feature worked.
Kobra299

Post by Kobra299 »

is there any update on this issue RoryOF as it is annoying not being able to check for updates with the extension manager?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice updates very infrequenty and updates are announced on this Forum.
 Edit: Access to the updates and extensions pages can be obtained by clicking on the OpenOffice logo at the bottom right of the Forum page. 
triggers

Post by triggers »

I'm getting this problem. I used to get a notification whenever there was an update to OO. I haven't had one for some time so assumed that there weren't any. I had a problem with Windows Defender and the Ransomware bit which John_Ha's tutorial sorted.

The Update checker doesn't work for me. I've cleared the browser cache and all the suggestions above.

I get this error. I know I can download 4.1.6 from SourceForge. Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
Update failed.JPG
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

As said multiple times, the feature is broken. Seems to work in specific conditions however (from mailing list IIRC).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Amazed99

Post by Amazed99 »

Apparently Apache doesn't think it is important enough to fix. Someone here suggested I write the program to fix it. As I tried to explain we are users not programmers.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Amazed99 wrote:Apparently Apache doesn't think it is important enough to fix. Someone here suggested I write the program to fix it. As I tried to explain we are users not programmers.
And so are the volunteers on this forum.
Apart from this broken feature, Apache OpenOffice has more serious problems. The project is almost dead because there are not enough developers. Its successor https://libreoffice.org/ has a vibrant community of developers and helpers. LibreOffice was split in 2011 from OpenOffice 3.3. LO 3.3 was identical to OO 3.3. Since version 4.1 OpenOffice is running empty.

green=LibreOffice
blue=OpenOffice
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Amazed99

Post by Amazed99 »

A little late in replying, but the info is much appreciated.