[SOLVED] Link to installation file required for download mgr

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
kingfisher
Volunteer

[SOLVED] Link to installation file required for download mgr

Post by kingfisher »

I am having trouble downloading 4.1.6 (en_GB). Apache provides a list of "download tools" but no page listing files. I asked the same question in relation to a previous release of the software but thanks to Yahoo Mail do not have a record of the topic; in any case, the information provided then is probably obsolete.

EDIT : The md5sum file I downloaded isn't valid. I got it from the page https://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html. If someone has a more reliable source, I would appreciate the link.
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Re: Link to installation file required for download manager

Post by RoryOF »

I tried the main download page from an Xubuntu 18.04.1 computer: it immediately offered me OO 4.1.6, linux DEB 64 bit in British English (downloading now). I am using an earlier release candidate
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have not tried the md5sum, but the downloaded tar.gz file opens correctly with my system archiver; I will trust its checksumming.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The page with the MD5 link may need to be updated. I don't think that using the md5sum is recommended any more. The main download page has links to SHA256 and SHA512 but not MD5.

For links to installation files, try the "Alternative download link #1" link under "Additional Resources" on the right side of the AOO Download page.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks for the replies. Somehow or other I downloaded an installation file but it went to the wrong location. I have now downloaded the sha256 file from the page I cited and the installation file has been verified.

The 'checksum' page linked to the download page contains no checksums, only instructions on how to use the checksum files. I had looked at 'Alternative download link #1' and found it unhelpful. However, 'Alternative download link #2' appears to contain useful information although the first link results in a 404 error. The mirrors linked on http://www.apache.org/mirrors/ seem to be unhelpful.

This is not altogether a satisfactory outcome as I still see no url of use to a download manager.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The "how to verify" link shows the instructions. The "SHA256" and "SHA512" links just above the "verify " link show the checksums.

The "Archived and legacy releases" link below the "alternative download" links should lead to a URL that you can use in a download manager. I have a download in progress using uGet on Ubuntu.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks. I don't understand how you got the url. The archive page states: "Old versions of OpenOffice.org can be downloaded here. If you are searching for the most recent release, please visit the download webpage."

Because of the difficulties I was having downloading, I overlooked the 'SHA256' link on the download page; thanks for pointing it out. My download passes the sha test using that 'SHA256' file; for some reason the "how to verify" instructions refer only to 'SHA256'.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Might be related to this old topic about keeping downloads generally through the main download page; and this policy page
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

robleyd wrote:Might be related to this old topic about keeping downloads generally through the main download page; and this policy page
That could be so. The project acknowledges that there may be difficulties using the 'wizard' and evidently wants to provide for the use of download managers.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Maybe I have the same problem as here described with openSuse Leap 15.0. I have read that openSuse is changed in that version to a higher GPG version. In a Dutch version I could read that not all is the same. I can not find an English version of the release notes.
Be aware in this thread only Linux user have a problem.

I have installed the new version there I did trust it.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

kingfisher wrote:Thanks. I don't understand how you got the url. The archive page states: "Old versions of OpenOffice.org can be downloaded here. If you are searching for the most recent release, please visit the download webpage."
At the bottom of the page, I see "Versions 4.x" with a link "ASF - Archives of the Apache Software Foundation". When I click that link, a page is opened which has links for versions "4.0.0" through "4.1.6". Clicking the "4.1.6" link opens a page with "binaries" and "sources". Clicking "binaries" opens a page with links for different languages. Clicking "en-GB" opens a page with the URLs for the en-GB installation files, language packs and checksums. When I copied one of the installation file URLs to the clipboard, the download manager uGet (which was already open) detected it immediately.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

kingfisher wrote:I had looked at 'Alternative download link #1' and found it unhelpful.
I just tried that link and it does work for me. Clicking the link opens a SourceForge page with a "4.1.6" link. Clicking "4.1.6" opens a page with "binaries" and "source" links. Clicking "binaries" opens a page with language links. Clicking "en-US" opens a page with the en-US installation files and language packs. In this case, uGet didn't detect the URL automatically. I had to add a new download in uGet and manually paste in the URL. The download was then successful.
kingfisher wrote:However, 'Alternative download link #2' appears to contain useful information although the first link results in a 404 error.
The only working links I found on that page were the two "Backup Sites" links. No links under "HTTP" and "FTP" worked.

Edit: The HTTP and FTP links in "Alternative download link #2" apparently don't work because they are links to the Apache mirror system but OpenOffice isn't in the Apache mirror system.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Bill wrote:
kingfisher wrote:Thanks. I don't understand how you got the url. The archive page states: "Old versions of OpenOffice.org can be downloaded here. If you are searching for the most recent release, please visit the download webpage."
At the bottom of the page, I see "Versions 4.x" with a link "ASF - Archives of the Apache Software Foundation". When I click that link, a page is opened which has links for versions "4.0.0" through "4.1.6". Clicking the "4.1.6" link opens a page with "binaries" and "sources". Clicking "binaries" opens a page with links for different languages. Clicking "en-GB" opens a page with the URLs for the en-GB installation files, language packs and checksums. When I copied one of the installation file URLs to the clipboard, the download manager uGet (which was already open) detected it immediately.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. You are right about the 'Alternative#1' as well but the 'binaries' list to which that leads isn't as comprehensive as the other one.

For anyone else needing links to installation files and SHA,etc files, the page is Index of /dist/openoffice/4.1.6/binaries/en-GB. I'll mark the topic as solved.