saved Text files will not open

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Peajie

saved Text files will not open

Post by Peajie »

As a Windows 7 user (no longer supported by Microsoft), I have been a happy user of your Version 4.1.3, But suddenly I am unable to open any of my Text files in Open Office. Can you please and explain why? Peajie with a problem.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Known Issues icon [robleyd, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.3. on Windows 7 Professional
FJCC

Re: saved Text files will not open

Post by FJCC »

Please explain what you have tried and what happens. If you start OpenOffice and use the menu File -> Open to select a file, what happens?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Max642
Banned

Post by Max642 »

Peajie wrote:As a Windows 7 user (no longer supported by Microsoft), I have been a happy user of your Version 4.1.3, But suddenly I am unable to open any of my Text files in Open Office. Can you please and explain why? Peajie with a problem.
did you get any proper solution?, I am also facing the same issue.
[url=https://www.mobdro.guide/][color=#000000]Mobdro[/color][/url]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We need more information. Are you double clicking a file and expecting that to open it? If so, set File Associations to tell computer to use OpenOffice to open that type of file.

Are you getting a message saying to chose an "ASCII filter"? If that is so, your file is corrupt and there will be little chance of saving anything from it.

Do you get a page of hashtags? File is corrupt - forget it and rewrite.

We need explicit information.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Peajie wrote:As a Windows 7 user (no longer supported by Microsoft)
Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft.
Peajie wrote:suddenly I am unable to open any of my Text files in Open Office. Can you please and explain why?
Try going File > Open ..., and navigating to the file. Does it now open?

If so, you have lost the association between AOO and text files. See the Tutorial on how to fix it. or search the Writer forum with association.

If this does not work, give step-by-step details of what steps you are taking (eg something like AOO is closed. I double click on fred.xyz and ...) and what then happens.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.