[Solved] Permanently turning off bullets and numbering

Discuss the word processor
SimTim

[Solved] Permanently turning off bullets and numbering

Post by SimTim »

I have never in my time using this program used bullets and numbering, yet i can type one line and it will start using numbers and indenting the line . How can it possibly know with one line that I am typing something that I would even want to use bullets with? One line does not create a pattern.

What i want to know is how to permanently disable bullets and numbering. Having to go in every time I use the program and correct the typing because the program decided on its own that i wanted bullets is unacceptable.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home Version 1803
FJCC

Re: permanently turning off bullets and numbering

Post by FJCC »

The usual solution to avoiding unwanted numbering and bullets is to go to the menu Tools -> AutoCorrect Options and on the Options tab remove the selection from Apply Numbering - Symbol. The symptom you describe does not sound exactly like what is usually reported, but try that cure and see if it works.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
SimTim

Post by SimTim »

Thank you i will give it a try
Open Office 4.1.5
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
SimTim

Post by SimTim »

Thank you FJCC, you solution seems to have fixed my problem., It has been several days since a bullet hit my typing. It is much appreciated as I already have enough trouble typing due to the tremors of Parkinson's, I don't need the hassle of fixing something I shouldn't have to fix. :D :)
Open Office 4.1.5
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

Oddly enough I was just going to ask a similar question. I have been editing a longish monograph and just recently when adding numbered references in brackets to the list the cursor has been leaping half way across the page as soon as a number is added -- and putting the reference in that position makes no sense and looks stupid. I will try the advice given here and hope for the best.
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 7
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

Afraid that when I went to Tools --Autocorrect Options and removed virtually all the options including numbering, it made no difference whatsoever. It seems that the older version of Office didn't have this problem (there are 60 references already that I wrote before this started to go wrong). I am trying to write

61. Hansen, G. P. Dowsing: A review of Experimental Evidence

and instead I get

Hansen, G. P.

It's crazy. Please can you produce a simplified program that just does the basics without requiring a huge manual to study? If I was 40 years younger and had a year or two to study the manual and get proficient with all the detail, maybe I might have summoned up the energy to do this, but I just want a slightly more versatile typewriter, to be honest.
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

At last, after several hours of fiddling with the program (in fact after disinstalling and reinstalling it twice, thinking it might have developed a fault) I have managed to get it working and I have added that reference to my list. I still think a less sophisticated version of OO aimed at the more simple minded types, such as myself, would be a great option!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On Windows, Wordpad used offer quite satisfactory formatting for those who wished something slightly more advanced than Notepad, but not as advanced as Word or OpenOffice Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

Thanks, I'll see if I can find that!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It used come with Windows, but as I haven't used Windows since NT 2000 I don't know if it is still supplied with Windows.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

I have a Windows 10 computer and you have to search the box to see whether you have something. And it seems I do have WordPad, and it seems to be pretty much what I wanted. The one feature that Open Office offers that neither WordPad, nor Microsoft Word, has, is that I can locate pictures and plans exactly where I want them on the page. Word just offers a grid of preselected positions to choose from.
MsKelly65

Post by MsKelly65 »

FJCC wrote:The usual solution to avoiding unwanted numbering and bullets is to go to the menu Tools -> AutoCorrect Options and on the Options tab remove the selection from Apply Numbering - Symbol. The symptom you describe does not sound exactly like what is usually reported, but try that cure and see if it works.
I tried this solution today and it looks like it did the trick. Thank you for your input! :D
MsKelly65, Windows 10
Denv12

Permanently turning off bullets and numbering

Post by Denv12 »

I have a similar problem. I went through the settings and checked a few things. I uploaded a screen photo. Have I changed the right settings so that I have turned bullets off? After I followed the instructions I found in one of the posts on this topic I then clicked Ok. I have Windows 7 and at least 844GB free space available on my pc.Thanks.
Attachments
Options.png
Openoffice 4.10. on Windows 7.
FJCC

Re: [Solved] Permanently turning off bullets and numbering

Post by FJCC »

Yes, that should do it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MsKelly65

Re: [Solved] Permanently turning off bullets and numbering

Post by MsKelly65 »

I did this also due to something on this page, and it has worked.
MsKelly65, Windows 10