[Solved] Images not showing in OO Impress

Discuss the presentation application
Paola

[Solved] Images not showing in OO Impress

Post by Paola »

Dear users,
I'm a newby of OpenOffice. After updating the OS (now ubuntu 18.04, before ubuntu 15.10) and Open Office (now 6.0.6.2, before I don't know), my old presentations don not display anymore any image. Moreover I cannot add any Image to a new/old presentation: I just have a rectangle for the placement and something which may resemble to the file name of the missing image.
I've been searching for the icon "Images and Charts", as I read that it could depend on it, but I cannot find it.
I've also checked in Tools->Options->OpenOffice (and OpenOffice Impress) -> View, but I could not find anything related to showing images.
Can you maybe help?
Thank you very much
Cheers
Paola
Last edited by Paola on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 6.0.6.2 on Ubuntu 18.04
RoryOF

Re: Images not showing in OO Impress

Post by RoryOF »

The images may have been linked in the old presentations, not embedded, and with the updates of the operating system are now in different locations or perhaps even lost (as linux o.s, updates often ask for formatting of the hard disk).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Paola

Post by Paola »

Hi RoryOF,
thank you for your reply.
No, the images were not linked in the old presentations, I'm sure about it. Moreover I also cannot put any new image in a old or new presentation: i don't see it (I can actually add it but not seeing it. I hope I'm clear)
I might be wrong, but it really looks to me like a setting problem, a box to check...still I have no clue where this box/icon could be. ...but I might be wrong!
Cheers
Paola
Paola

Post by Paola »

PS For info: figures are in .eps format
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is certainly such a setting for Writer, but I cannot find it for OpenOffice Impress. By the way, if you are using 6.0.6.2, you are using LibreOffice.
Paola

Post by Paola »

You are right, it's Libre Office. Since I'm in France I thought it was the french translation for OpenOffice :p
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

LibreOffice may not have support for .eps files. I'll experiment later to see if I can insert an .eps file into an OO presentation. Lunch calls just now!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OK, I've taken a few minute - I inserted two .eps files into a sample presentation on OO 4.2.0 (pre release); the images showed up on insertion, and on the presenter console, but not when I showed the slideshow - their slides showed up as blank.

I'll have to leave this thread now for some time.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload a small Impress file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Paola

Post by Paola »

Thank you very much for the time you spent on it RoryOF!!!
I actually don't care about the slide show, as long as I can export as pdf. And also I can move to OO 4.2 if needed.
I'll wait to see if someone else (or you later on) has an idea.
Thank you so much
Cheers
Paola

PS ups sorry I hadn't seen your last reply :) Here you have an example
Attachments
Octobre28_2018.odp
(61.72 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A little searching has found that .eps files can be troublesome in OpenOffice (I can't say about LibreOffice); one posting I found said that saving an .eps file without transparency and using that version solved his problem

I find that the few .eps files I have which I wished to use in OO (years ago) were converted to some other format (.png) and inserted in OO in that format.

/File /Export as PDF is a useful tip for emergency use of a presntation. Of course, it does not use the slide transitions or media.
Paola

Post by Paola »

Thank you very much!
I'll try to go back to LibreOffice 3.6.5, where eps seemed to work fine.
Cheers
P
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If they show in a PDF version of the files, use that format if it is satisfactory. Keep your original files in case you need to rebuild a presentation.
Paola

Post by Paola »

No, they don't show in the pdf either :'(
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Edit: While the .eps file displays on screen it does not export to PDF. 
There are no .eps files in the file you uploaded. I attach an Impress file with a .eps image in it - it seems to work fine display OK on screen. I also attach the .eps file itself - I had to zip it to be accepted here.

Can I suggest you convert your .eps files to PNG (for graphics files) or JPG (for photos or paintings) at zamzar.com. Now input PNG or JPG files to Impress.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in AOO.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
Image.zip
Unzip to extract image.EPS
(16.55 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
EPS example.odp
(28.31 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Paola

Post by Paola »

Dear John_Ha,
thank you for your reply. Well, no, we didn't find the solution except, as you suggest, to convert everything....
Sure, I can convert my eps files to PNGs, but it doesn't really solve the problem, since when those files are produced they are always eps files, so it is much easier for me to just put them in the presentation.
I'm attaching the eps file and the odt
Thank you
Cheers
Paola
Attachments
PFNS_theta45.pdf
it's an eps file, I just changed the extension since the site doesn't let me upload a .eps file
(105.94 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Octobre28_2018.odp
The eps file should appear in it
(68.83 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I have done some tests.

See attached EPS example.odp which has three images. Top left is a .eps file of "black trees" which has no transparency. Bottom left is a PNG file with transparency surrounding the red square. Top right is a .EPS file created from the red square with transparency, so has transparency. The PDF is then created from the .odp file.
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 13706 times
Conclusions seem to be

1 A .eps file without transparency displays properly on screen. Nothing appears in the PDF.

2 A .eps file with transparency does not display on screen - not even the solid component. Nothing appears in the PDF.

3 A .png file with (or without) transparency works as expected and items can be seen through the transparency. It exports correctly to the PDF. If I copy the image out of the PDF the transparent part which shows as white is copied as black.

Hence my suggestion is to convert your .eps files to PNG or JPG as appropriate and insert them as PNG or JPG files.
Attachments
EPS example.pdf
(25.24 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
EPS example.odp
(31.41 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paola

Post by Paola »

Thank you very much John_Ha!!!!
I see that I have no choice ;)
Thanks again
Cheers
Paola

PS and yes, I'll marked it as solved :)
RoryOF

Re: [SOLVED]Images not showing in OO Impress

Post by RoryOF »

Paola

Post by Paola »

;) It's me cause you told me that OpenOffice and LibreOffice are not the same thing :p
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I understand that - they are closely related; we like to mark parallel questions as a solution might be found in either thread.
Paola

Post by Paola »

I see. So...an easy question: shall I let them know that I posted it here? How should I do? (cause I'm a real real real newby of forums: this is my third or fourth post ever)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Either edit your question or add a comment to your question at AskLibreOffice
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Paola

Post by Paola »

Thank you! :)
Cheers
Paola
Paola

Post by Paola »

Hi again,
I think I solved the problem by installing a missing library (libgs9-common) which was causing issues also to other platforms. Now I can see and add .eps images in LibreOffice 6
Thank you very much for the help and the time you spend to help
Cheers
Paola
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just tested my system using OO; that library and its associates was installed. To be certain I flagged these for reinstallation. My sample file using two .eps files I selected yesterday displays one of these these on the presesenter monitor, but not on the projection screen, the other is not even displayed on eitther screen, although both show when building the presentation. I selected the images and using right click on them arranged them to front - still no display.

So I advise, check that they display on your projector or display screen before making a presentation to an audience.

My instinct is always for the easy and quick solution: if building new presentations convert .eps files to another format (test!) before insertion into the presentation.
Paola

Post by Paola »

Thank you RoryOF! Promised, I'll convert .eps files next time :)
Cheers
Paola