[Solved] Can't register OpenOffice 4.1.5 on the internet

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Orssi

[Solved] Can't register OpenOffice 4.1.5 on the internet

Post by Orssi »

:D My OS Windows 10, I rarely use it. But it's registered as my default browser to keep the system sweet. I'm not registered on Windows mail. But my number one browser is Google. Thank you guys for your help ;)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OS,Windows 10, almost hardly used. But, all of Googles parts sits within windows 10, on my ASUS laptop 2 years old. And Google is my main browser.
Open Office 4.1.1
RusselB

Re: Can't register Open Office 4.15 on the internet.

Post by RusselB »

The official OpenOffice does not require, nor ask for, registration via the internet.
When starting OpenOffice for the first time, or after resetting your user profile, you will be asked for some information, such as your name and initials.
This information is stored on your system and does not come from your system via OpenOffice.
There have been a number of problems reported about OpenOffice not working properly after Windows 10 updates, but I don't know if that is what is affecting you.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Orssi

Post by Orssi »

Hi RusselB,
Apologies for the long waited reply. Have been busy. Look, I realized I had overlooked my installed version O O 4.15. Thinking there was a component missing from your O O 4.15 Its corrupted not with a virus but through many microsoft updates download since 07/01/ 2018 when I first installed it. :crazy:
What I'm going to do Is re-install it. But first I need to Know if you would like to disect it???
If, so I'll send it to you in a Compressed zipped folder.Let me Know either way, if you want it. 8-)
OS,Windows 10, almost hardly used. But, all of Googles parts sits within windows 10, on my ASUS laptop 2 years old. And Google is my main browser.
Open Office 4.1.1
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Sending me that compressed file would be a waste, as both the OpenOffice and Operating system versions are different.
There are versions of OpenOffice that include other programs, and these may require online registration, but the official version, found at http://www.openoffice.org/download does not.
If you didn't download from the site I mention, then please uninstall the version that you have, then run thorough anti-virus and malware checks on your system, as you may have installed a version that has virus and/or malware included.

On a side note, please use the User Control Panel, which is linked near the top left of this screen, to change your forum signature to match the version of OpenOffice and your Windows version.
Since you are running Windows 10, one or more of the updates may have reassigned the extensions used for your files to Microsoft Office, which does require online registration.
If this is your situation, then you can find directions to change the file associations here
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, some recent Windows 10 updates have caused OpenOffice crashes and peculiarities. I understand (not a Windows user myself) that the latest Windows 10 updates have cured these problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Orssi

Post by Orssi »

Thanks, Russel and Rory, for all the help and advice. I have removed the corrupted version and downloaded from your link, the legal version. But I still have the similar glitch . Which is, It won't update or can't check for..Say's can't find server??? :roll:
Open Office 4.1.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That is apparently to do with with some misconfiguration on the server. OO is updated at long intervals - in general there are no incremental updates; OO 4.1.6 is in preparation and nearing release - watch this forum for information and forget about the built-in check for updates.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Is the actual error message "Checking for an update failed. Error reading data from the Internet.
Server error message: .
"

If so, this problem has been reported as a bug - please see [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails AOO 4.1.5 is the most current version available at the time of this posting.

You can turn off update checking in Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Online Update.

I note your signature shows a different OS and AOO version than you claim to be using in your posts. So that we can accurately inform you about your problems, please consider updating your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Orssi

Post by Orssi »

Yeah, David, its 4.1.1 version before I had 4.1.5. I just downloaded it from the link in these messages. I'll turn off update checking. Thanks
Open Office 4.1.1
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

@Orssi: please ask your questions on the forum, not via PM.

Please follow the link in my post above - updating your signature - for information on how to update your signature information. We ask that you provide current information about your OS and version, together with details of the office suite and version you are using. This helps us to help you, as solutions to problems may vary depending on OS/ version, or office suite/ version.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Orssi

Post by Orssi »

My OS is windows 10, But main browser is Google. I hardly use W, 10. I put that up their in my first recent posts on this subject. The link should say ? Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 - Windows 10.
Windows Vista is an older version I don't use anymore. I'm confused I can't see the link I should click on ? :crazy:
Open Office 4.1.1
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There are two links in my first post here; I've added a picture of the post with some red arrows pointing to the links. They should appear, to you, the same as links in other posts in this topic. Here's how they look in my browser; depending on how whatever browser you use is set up, they may appear as a different colour. You can also see a difference in your mouse pointer when it passes over, or rests on, a link.
links.png
You say you hardly ever use Windows 10; perhaps you don't realise that every time you start your computer, you are actually using Windows 10. It is after all the operating system that allows your computer to work.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Orssi

Post by Orssi »

Yes David that's is of my awareness. I just wan to say, I apologise for the trip wires Guys. I just was, not aware, that I still had that old Signature still sitting their. All better now though.Just one question. Do I need to update my O O to a better one ??
Open Office 4.1.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Orssi wrote:Just one question. Do I need to update my O O to a better one ??
OO 4.1.5 is current, with OO 4.1.6 under active development - keep an eye on the Forum for a release announcement (in some weeks, perhaps).
Orssi

Post by Orssi »

Thanks, for the heads up, RoryOF
Open Office 4.1.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, 4.1.6 has been released, there is a sticky topic with the links.
Or use the download link bottom right of the page.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10